Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 1989 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 2dr

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Straight 6
Default My 1989 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 2dr

Just traded my car for this thing and i love it. Her name is "Kaylee", she has a 4.0 Inline Straight 6 FI, Auto tranny. Shes a beast. Open to ideas on this build right now all I've got so far is new rims and tires.
Before new rims
My 1989 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 2dr-beforel.jpg
Before
My 1989 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 2dr-beforer.jpg
After new rims
My 1989 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 2dr-afterl.jpg
After
My 1989 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 2dr-afterr.jpg
After
My 1989 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 2dr-afterr2.jpg

Last edited by AndrewKet; 10-25-2011 at 12:09 AM.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:24 AM

Hey congrats, they r good jeeps my 88 Cherokee has been to he'll n back twice!

How many miles does ur jeep have?
Old 10-25-2011, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by BigChief89
Hey congrats, they r good jeeps my 88 Cherokee has been to he'll n back twice!

How many miles does ur jeep have?
Hey thanks and it has about 258xxx on body and roughly 155xxx on newer motor, im told.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:27 PM

Default Close up of new rims!

Here is a close up of my new American Racing Outlaw rims with Dayton Timberline L/T's 235/75/15's.
God i love these and the price was great!
My 1989 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 2dr-rims-close-up.jpg
Old 10-26-2011, 11:00 PM

Any ideas you guys have for me let me know. This is my first 4x4 so im still learning. Oh and my Cherokeefourm.com Decal should be here soon ill post pics when i get it on.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:21 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

looks nice man. it's got a little bit of rust, that's where i'd start... is that a different passenger mirror on that? lol im glad you got new rims and tires
Old 10-27-2011, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by fathan16
looks nice man. it's got a little bit of rust, that's where i'd start... is that a different passenger mirror on that? lol im glad you got new rims and tires
Hey thanks for the info, and the mirrors on it are aftermarket i got the truck that way i want to get the original ones from the junk yard and install those hopefully at the same time i work on the body and give it a nice paint job.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:13 AM
Registered Users

I'd start with removing the little plastic peice under the front bumper! It gives the jeep a higher look just by removing it! And its free and can be put back on if you like it better with it on there!
I'd also start with rust & maitenance! I'd go through, change the oil & filter, flush coolant, change plugs wires, cap & rotor! You don't know the exact history of the vehicle so you may as well get it up to par on your standards right?
Very first day I spent 300 for maintenance and got everything I needed!

Also incase its not done yet! You can remove the upper porting of the intake box..look where the intake hose goes..you'll see a trumpet looking thing that necks down in the middle. Remove it with a flat head & needle nose! Its useless and it there to make the jeep quieter!
Without it you get a little more growl, and you get a little throttle responce! Its free & cheap!

Also seeing the rust on the outside, I'd pull the seats & carpet and check the floors..if theres rust there combat it now vs replacing the floors later! You can also take this time to shampoo your carpet and wash your seat covers! Makes the jeep sooo much nicer inside! Look at my build..I know from experience!
Wire wheel or sand down the floor and bedline it! I used the $50 gallon of rustoleum from wally world..its not the best but it'll do the job just like any other & thats protect the floor from rust! I put my carpet back in over the bedliner and its also queiter inside the jeep since doing it!

If you choose do to everything like me, upgrade! Look up big oil filter upgrade for renix jeeps..theres a 6 or 7 buck adapter that allows us to run a much bigger oil filter! Its a great cheap upgrade and should be done on your next oil change..a big filter is never bad and it only cost 7 bucks for the adapter...you'd need a oil filter anyway once you change the oil!
Also you can get better spark plug wires, although I've never seen or felt a difference from the autozone vs msd wires when I swapped!

Last edited by Kamaran; 10-27-2011 at 06:21 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Kamaran
I'd start with removing the little plastic peice under the front bumper! It gives the jeep a higher look just by removing it! And its free and can be put back on if you like it better with it on there!
I'd also start with rust & maitenance! I'd go through, change the oil & filter, flush coolant, change plugs wires, cap & rotor! You don't know the exact history of the vehicle so you may as well get it up to par on your standards right?
Very first day I spent 300 for maintenance and got everything I needed!

Also incase its not done yet! You can remove the upper porting of the intake box..look where the intake hose goes..you'll see a trumpet looking thing that necks down in the middle. Remove it with a flat head & needle nose! Its useless and it there to make the jeep quieter!
Without it you get a little more growl, and you get a little throttle responce! Its free & cheap!

Also seeing the rust on the outside, I'd pull the seats & carpet and check the floors..if theres rust there combat it now vs replacing the floors later! You can also take this time to shampoo your carpet and wash your seat covers! Makes the jeep sooo much nicer inside! Look at my build..I know from experience!
Wire wheel or sand down the floor and bedline it! I used the $50 gallon of rustoleum from wally world..its not the best but it'll do the job just like any other & thats protect the floor from rust! I put my carpet back in over the bedliner and its also queiter inside the jeep since doing it!

If you choose do to everything like me, upgrade! Look up big oil filter upgrade for renix jeeps..theres a 6 or 7 buck adapter that allows us to run a much bigger oil filter! Its a great cheap upgrade and should be done on your next oil change..a big filter is never bad and it only cost 7 bucks for the adapter...you'd need a oil filter anyway once you change the oil!
Also you can get better spark plug wires, although I've never seen or felt a difference from the autozone vs msd wires when I swapped!
Hey thanks for all the info, had a question though i was looking into that air intake thing you where telling me about but i dont think i quite understand the location of it cant seem to find what your talking about
Old 10-27-2011, 06:31 PM
Registered Users

Alright here ya go..

step 1: remove intake pipe from throttle body & intake. so everything is in place except the intake pipe
step 2:remove the upper section of the air box!
Step 3: look at where the intake hose connects to the airbox!
Step 4: remove the baffle/trumpet!

Heres a write up!
http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoSilencer.htm

Whatever you do DO NOT! DO NOT just toss an open filter on there, that will make it louder but you'll lose mpg & performance!
Look up the cowl intake..it cost like 10 bucks..its an awsome mod!
Gives the jeep more growl but also keeps the factory air box to block out heat, & if your ever offroad your intake is raised so it won't suck in water!
Old 10-27-2011, 06:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Nice rims! i have the same ones
Old 10-27-2011, 09:52 PM

Hey man thanks for the info im gonna give that a shot here soon, the fix some Intake hoses and a couple minor things i noticed. After that im gonna work on this exhaust leak i have and then comes body and paint. Later im going to throw Light bar on roof and New Front bumper with winch. Also a 2" Lift with 31" A/T Tires on it. After all that then im going to work on interior. So far that's the only plans i have for it but im sure there will be more to come.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:49 PM

Well heres an update after about an hour i finally got the scilencer out hopefully everything was put back together correctly lol ill find out in the morning
Old 10-28-2011, 02:22 AM
Registered Users

Haha awsome man! Let us know how it goes.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:38 AM

Ill have to take a picture of the Silencer and post it cause by the time i got it out it was all tore up i had a hell of a time getting it out. I ended up taking to whole top of the box off bringing it to the garage, putting it in the vice and using a hammer and a flat head and banging it out lol. It didnt wanna come out for anything. Dang thing was stuck in there

Quick Reply: My 1989 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 2dr