The Moses Build - Jeep Cherokee Forum

Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.

The Moses Build

Old 03-12-2019, 05:01 PM

Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default The Moses Build

ok so I found this jeep that has been sitting on a farm for over 10 years. Sticker bushes growing inside and all. Talked the guy down to $700 and now she is mine. Obviously after 10 years of rotting, I had to trailer her home because she wouldnt start. After replacing the battery, battery terminals, alternator, serpentine belt, spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, oil change, antifreeze and fresh fuel.... What do ya know, she fired right up. I soon realized that none of the lights were working so I went straight to the fuse box. Yup, all of the fuses were rotten and falling apart as I was pulling them out. Put new fuses in and now she has lights. The heater still isnt working so im going to replace the blower motor next. I have a lot of plans for my new baby but I have to get her street legal first. Ill keep you all updated on how the build goes.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Welcome to CF and to Jeep ownership Toy Hughes!
Old 03-20-2019, 11:05 PM

Year: 1988

Well I found out that the clutch was bad so I spent the day trying to drop the transmission. Its a manual. I got everything disconnected and unplugged. Still have the cross member in place to support the weight. All thats left if to loosen the bellhousing bolts. After some research it looks like I ran into a similar problem other people had. The top two bolts... From what I read online, its a E12 Torx socket. Went and bought a set of torx sockets. Tried 10, 12 and 14. None of them fit. E12 was the closet but kept slipping. I cant tell if its stripped out or what. Cant really see it. Any suggestions besides pulling the motor with it? I have an idea but I dont know if its the greatest...