Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Morts Project 96 XJ

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 03:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Six on Gas
Default Morts Project 96 XJ

Here is my 1996 XJ, purchased late 2011, it is dual fuel (LPG).
Currently 380000kms, here is a little bit about what I have done/need to do.

This is how I bought it, note the rear end, the leaf springs were almost inverted and shocks were non existent.Name:  IMG_0084.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  186.1 KB

I fixed leaking transmission cooler pipes, replaced all cooling hoses, clamps, thermostat, leaking power steering, brake discs, battery, crappy window tint, rear drum brakes and they were just the easy bits

Bearings came next

Name:  IMG_0135.jpg
Size:  102.9 KB

After replacing the front hubs I attacked the rears. I used a bearing puller with slide hammer which caused the bearing to disintegrate leaving the outer ring behind, this took about 2 hours to dremmel out I replaced the bearings only to reveal severe wear on the actual axle. So after hunting high and low eBay (USA) provided new axles and the diff was cleaned and re-assembled.

With new shocks installed I added a 2 inch lift and tranny drop, this just exaggerated the poor state of my rear leaf springs.
Then the transmission refused to engage overdrive and sat in 3rd revving its ***** off.
This was tirelessly traced via an tranny service to the TPS, which was shot. Once replaced all was ok.....for a while.
I was about to change the leafs and she started to stall without reason, highway, city it did not matter she just gave up. CPS was changed to no avail, turned out to be a faulty distributer, so new plugs, leads, coil, cap,rotor and distributer later and we are back on the road again.....

Then This....
Name:  IMG_0221.jpg
Size:  117.7 KB

Stupid cow in a car park hit me head on doin 60kph, I thought the insurance would write it off for sure!
I took it to the repair shop and they gave her a whole new face
So project XJ was back on.!

I carried on fixin bits and pieces, still never getting around to the leaf springs.
I collected new wheels, 15" steelies and new 235x75 AT's, new wheel nuts and centre caps.
Finally I priced up new rear leafs...... Holy ****!
$700 for a toughened leaf with polly bushes.....Off to the scrappers.
I got a win here, I found a written off XJ with recently installed toughened towing springs and bushes.....$65 each....ta very much.

Before springs showing off her new face
Name:  IMG_0257.jpg
Size:  179.9 KB

So here she is, I still need a new drivers seat, my mirrors need a new switch, air conditioning is driving with the windows down, I have minor rust spots and the exhaust is on its way out, she is high mileage but burns no oil and pulls like a train both on petrol and LPG.
I have had about 10 cars in the last 6 years but project XJ has lasted the distance so far....

Its A Jeep Thing.......

Name:  IMG_0269.jpg
Size:  158.5 KB
Name:  IMG_0270.jpg
Size:  139.0 KB

Thanks for reading