Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.

Maintenance - who needs it?

Old 05-12-2019, 10:29 AM
  #46  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Michigan
Posts: 42
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default

you mean it's different sensors front to back also - ?!? < sigh > Ok -
yeah mine is a '00 CA -
I'll check RockAuto (and other sources) to see how the prices compare
how bad was the job to do?
Was yours already flanged parts from the factory with your post Jan 00?
iamdgw is offline  
Old 05-12-2019, 10:33 AM
  #47  
CF Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2,964
Default

Originally Posted by iamdgw View Post
you mean it's different sensors front to back also - ?!? < sigh > Ok -
yeah mine is a '00 CA -
I'll check RockAuto (and other sources) to see how the prices compare
how bad was the job to do?
Was yours already flanged parts from the factory with your post Jan 00?
Mine was flanged but I am not so sure that it was still factory. See when you buy the Walker front cat they tell you that you need the 53440 pipe which connects to the rear of the front cat and front of the rear cat.
I believe they came from the factory with the front cat and the 53440 pipe as one piece connecting into the front of the rear cat.
But do not quote me on that.
Ralph77 is offline  
Old 05-12-2019, 10:42 AM
  #48  
CF Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2,964
Default

Sorry missed the part about doing the job.
I did not do it. I took everything off except the front cat. Cleaned up and POR 15'ed under there.
Then I drove it, missing all those exhaust pieces, boy was it loud (LOL), to one of the garages that does business with the store to take off the front cat and hang the whole exhaust.
They charged me $75. I thought they deserved more so gave them $25 more then they asked for. LOL.
But I had everything bought and figured out for them. I bought hardware for them too connect the down pipe, 53440, to the both cats. Bought new nuts to connect the front of the muffler, cause it has studs, to the rear cat. Hell I even bought new hardware for where the front cat connects to the exhaust manifolds. The goal was so they could just throw it on without any problems or delays.
I was a little worried about having problems trying to do it in my driveway and at the time did not own any air tools.
Guys have done it. Not like it can't be done.
Ralph77 is offline  
Old 05-12-2019, 10:47 AM
  #49  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Michigan
Posts: 42
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default

still a benjamin to have someone else deal with it still sounds like a bargain

Did you see an improvement in mileage after doing it?
iamdgw is offline  
Old 05-12-2019, 10:56 AM
  #50  
CF Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2,964
Default

Originally Posted by iamdgw View Post
still a benjamin to have someone else deal with it still sounds like a bargain

Did you see an improvement in mileage after doing it?
No. I don't think so. I get pretty crappy mileage around town. 13 MPG. Which is pretty much what I got before. But you have understand some things. I live 1/2 mile from work. I actually go out of my way in the morning just to get the Jeep up to operating temperature. When I am pulling in the parking the thermostat is just opening up and I can see the temperature dropping. When I do drive around town it is short distances with a few stops so... Now on the highway I do as much as 22 MPG. But I never took the Jeep on any longer trips before all that work was done so I have nothing to compare it too.
One other thing I wanted to ask and tell you.
Do you have a sensor behind the rear cat? I am guessing you don't.
Even though it is called a cat I have seen it referred to as a resonator. But just in 2 places maybe online in threads and whatnot. Every auto parts store calls it a cat as do all the manufacturers.
I bring all this up cause since there is not an O2 sensor behind it what does it do.
I was thinking I could have gotten away with my old one. But I did not like the way it mated up to the new Walker parts. If I remember correctly it was not bad but I just said screw it and bought the rear cat too.

Last edited by Ralph77; 05-12-2019 at 11:01 AM.
Ralph77 is offline  
Old 05-12-2019, 11:10 AM
  #51  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Michigan
Posts: 42
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default

no - there is no sensor between the rear cat / muffler - which is where I first looked after having the code read for me at the parts store
and I was like - what is going on here - so I had to go have the code read again - because like an idiot - I didn't write it down
researched the CA vs Fed vs different years - and I guess around this time the were changing stuff all over the place.
the parts doc does mention a resonator - but it clearly has a different shape.

Like you, being that there is no rear o2 sensor - what does the rear cat do - but I have read it helps with final whatever to get it to pass emission testing.
I'm up in Michigan - so I don't have to worry about that - but as the rules say - if it was on there - gotta put it back - so I was just going to replace it and not think too much more about it.
doesn't look like the resonator is available many (if any) places anyway - 52019500AD - and I don't think the rear cat is hurting any performance.

Nuts on the mileage. I'm about 10 miles from work myself - or less - but my last take of gas was like 13 mpg
I've since cleaned the (was on there when I bought it) K&N air filter - so we'll see if that helps - but I'm hoping for a little boost in efficiency with this.

Thank you for all the input.
iamdgw is offline  
Old 05-12-2019, 11:16 AM
  #52  
CF Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2,964
Default

Originally Posted by iamdgw View Post
no - there is no sensor between the rear cat / muffler - which is where I first looked after having the code read for me at the parts store
and I was like - what is going on here - so I had to go have the code read again - because like an idiot - I didn't write it down
researched the CA vs Fed vs different years - and I guess around this time the were changing stuff all over the place.
the parts doc does mention a resonator - but it clearly has a different shape.

Like you, being that there is no rear o2 sensor - what does the rear cat do - but I have read it helps with final whatever to get it to pass emission testing.
I'm up in Michigan - so I don't have to worry about that - but as the rules say - if it was on there - gotta put it back - so I was just going to replace it and not think too much more about it.
doesn't look like the resonator is available many (if any) places anyway - 52019500AD - and I don't think the rear cat is hurting any performance.

Nuts on the mileage. I'm about 10 miles from work myself - or less - but my last take of gas was like 13 mpg
I've since cleaned the (was on there when I bought it) K&N air filter - so we'll see if that helps - but I'm hoping for a little boost in efficiency with this.

Thank you for all the input.
My XJ is just a DD. I am older and don't have a life. LOL. Which means I really don't go anywhere. I don't really care what I get for gas mileage. I did do everything I could to help improve it though. I did what I could and it is what it is. I am happy that highway mileage is up there. Just for when I have to drive the longer distances to chase down something I found on Craigslist though.
Ralph77 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
nick_n_ii
Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here
26
05-12-2009 05:55 PM
HeepSpeed
Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here
3
02-17-2009 01:42 PM
mudd89driver
Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here
23
01-13-2009 08:25 PM
smtippin
Stock Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ/WJ/WK Non-modified/stock questions go here!
1
10-27-2008 02:39 PM
kansasgirl
Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here
19
10-12-2008 11:19 PM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Maintenance - who needs it?


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: