Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M first XJ

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default M first XJ

Well, since everyone else has a build thread, and the fact that I have never done one, I figured, why not? Sooo, here we go.

This is not my first Jeep, or my last for that matter. I currently have a 51 and a 52 ****** pick up both are original. I have built several TJ's, a YJ, and a few CJ's but never an XJ so this is a new on for me. Especially with the Unit-body construction.

When I set out to find an XJ, I had a few criteria that it HAD to meet;

1. 2-Door
2. AX-15
3. 4.0L HO
4. HP30
5. Chrysler 8.25
6. A/C

So after 3 years of searching, I found what I was looking for; a 1996 XJ with all criteria met. And to top it off, it has a 29 spline 8.25 instead of the 27 spline. It also has the 15x7 steel wheels which I love for some odd reason. No power windows or locks to go bad on me either. It was a one owner Jeep with 140,000 miles on it. New clutch, master, slave, windshield, and 235/75/15 AT's all put on a week before I bought it. Zero rust.

Purchase price was $2500. Probably a little high but I was not going to complain about it since I found exactly what I was looking for.

To start off the build, I took some measurements and did some drawings to come up with a nice front and rear bumper to my liking. Most of the ones I found did not flow with the body lines well enough for me (I am picky). Got the steel sitting in the garage but its been too busy around Christmas time to get any work done.

I just (15 minutes ago) ordered Rusty's 3in lift with full rear leafs, and some other goodies from Rusty's. He said it should be here by Dec. 23rd. Just in time to wrap it all up just to un wrap it 2 days later . What can I say, I am still a kid at heart.

I plan on running the 235's until they need replaced (I just can't see throwing away a good set of tires for no reason). I will be replacing them with a set of 31x10.50x15 General Grabbers (not the AT2's).

I gotta run for now, I will get some pics up soon along with some more info. Questions, Comments, or Concerns? Just post up lol.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:40 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

cant wait to see the red letters on it
Old 12-20-2010, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by projectmayhem
cant wait to see the red letters on it
You and me both! My local tire dealer just got their first set of the red letters in this past Friday, too bad they are in the 35/12.50/17 flavor. They look awesome though. I'm not real sure how they will perform in snow and ice since they have almost no sipping.

On another note, The UPS guy just left a couple boxes and a pair of leaf springs on my front porch! That was probably the fastest shipping I have seen in a long time. Alabama to Missouri in 2.5 business days. I must say, having never bought anything from Rustys before, The customer service was second to none and the products look great and were packaged very well.

Unfortunately, I wont get to install it until the 24th or later. Don't get me wrong, I would love to go out and start turnin wrenches but I have a fully equiped/heated shop with a lift that will be at my disposal after the 23rd. Plus I plan to make some skid plates, HD tierod, steering box brace, and some axle bracing all at the same time.

I will be getting some pics up soon. Just waiting for my camera to get here. Left it in Pennsylvania back in November.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990

Rusty's has some great products, I'm running a 4.5 kit on my two door and unlike some other kits I have no wobble and plenty of flex and no flatten out rear springs..Can't wait to see some pics of your jeep and build..
Old 12-21-2010, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by SGT ABN XJ
Rusty's has some great products, I'm running a 4.5 kit on my two door and unlike some other kits I have no wobble and plenty of flex and no flatten out rear springs..Can't wait to see some pics of your jeep and build..
Lets see some pictures of yours! I am eventually going to 4.5 inch. I will probably run Rustys stuff. Have had the best experience with their company so far.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990

Originally Posted by 96XJGUY
Lets see some pictures of yours! I am eventually going to 4.5 inch. I will probably run Rustys stuff. Have had the best experience with their company so far.
Below my military awards is my build thread for my jeep with a bunch of pics, just click on it.................