Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lashonda : 1997 Jeep Cherokee Country

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 05:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default lashonda : 1997 Jeep Cherokee Country

Figured I'd make a build thread rather than continuing to update my thread in the OEM tech section.

Just bought my first Jeep. 1997 Cherokee Country, 243,xxx miles. I fell in love with the interior of these Jeeps back when a buddy of mine got an 04' Wrangler Unlimited. Originally I had no plans to modify this Jeep at all. I was going to drive it for a year or so then sell it once I graduated college. My plans changed once I realized the guy who I bought the jeep from screwed me over.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/jus...-miles-185391/

Anyway, I'll just update this thread from now on. I am currently waiting for a tow truck to come pick up the XJ to drop it off to North GA Automotive so they can swap the motor for me. The motor they're putting in has 7x,xxx miles on it and I should have it back within a week.

I imagine that the transmission will be the next thing to go out. I plan on getting a trans cooler to try to extend the life as much as possible.

When the transmission finally does go out...I plan to convert the Jeep to 4WD if time and money permits.

I've already got some things ordered.

Whenever I order/receive/install a part I'll more than likely do an in depth review in this thread complete with plenty of pictures.

For having 243,177 miles the body and interior are in surprisingly good condition.

Here it is as it currently sits.

lashonda : 1997 Jeep Cherokee Country-cibrrc2.jpg

lashonda : 1997 Jeep Cherokee Country-hsc2xk1.jpg

lashonda : 1997 Jeep Cherokee Country-qxypptv.jpg

lashonda : 1997 Jeep Cherokee Country-tl3fgmp.jpg

lashonda : 1997 Jeep Cherokee Country-toleayz.jpg

lashonda : 1997 Jeep Cherokee Country-s0vx6sk.jpg
Old 01-04-2014, 05:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

I wouldn't worry about the transmission much if I were you. Just run it till it dies. Nice jeep!
Old 01-04-2014, 06:39 PM

Thanks. I paid $1,500 for it. Previous owner said the head was rebuilt...but you see how far that got me. Taking into consideration the $1,500 spent on the Cherokee itself and the ~$1,500 its going to cost to get it running again....I don't feel like $3,000 is too terrible for what I'm going to get out of it.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:02 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by lashonda
Thanks. I paid $1,500 for it. Previous owner said the head was rebuilt...but you see how far that got me. Taking into consideration the $1,500 spent on the Cherokee itself and the ~$1,500 its going to cost to get it running again....I don't feel like $3,000 is too terrible for what I'm going to get out of it.
It's a bit steep for a 2wd in our area, but I think you're fine. Haha. I drive a 2wd also and it's good for what it is.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by tssguy123
It's a bit steep for a 2wd in our area, but I think you're fine. Haha. I drive a 2wd also and it's good for what it is.

It is in..our..area? Oh man I just realized you're in Canton. Hah. I'm in Kennesaw.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:44 AM
CF Veteran

It is in..our..area? Oh man I just realized you're in Canton. Hah. I'm in Kennesaw.
I live in Canton (home home) and go to school in Marietta (and live there). Had no idea you were THAT close haha! Just knew you were in the "Atlanta" area somewhere. Cool.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:53 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L High Output

I'm in Carrollton, I've done a 4wd swap on my junk.

Clean looking Jeep.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:14 PM

I live in Canton (home home) and go to school in Marietta (and live there). Had no idea you were THAT close haha! Just knew you were in the "Atlanta" area somewhere. Cool.
Home = Savannah,
School Live = Kennesaw. I've found out that rather than explaining where Kennesaw is it is much easier to just say "Atlanta." Hah

Originally Posted by 94XjSport94
I'm in Carrollton, I've done a 4wd swap on my junk.

Clean looking Jeep.
Thanks! I scrolled through the first few and last few pages of your build thread...what a transformation. I have no experience when dealing with a 4WD vehicle quite yet. Still learning a lot about the swap.

Today's update? Received my interior LED lights. Can't really do anything with them until I get the Jeep back...which is currently awaiting a heart transplant. I'm going to meet up with the guys tomorrow morning at the shop to iron out the details and get the work started. This time next week I should have my XJ up and running.

Here are a couple more pictures of my stock Jeep. More zip ties than I'm comfortable with under the hood from the previous owner..

lashonda : 1997 Jeep Cherokee Country-6ivjn6v.jpg

Gotta fix this sagging headliner around the speaker bar.

lashonda : 1997 Jeep Cherokee Country-smfyuec.jpg

Here is what has been getting me around. It belongs to my girlfriend but with how often I'm in the driver seat you'd think differently. I had no idea these were such good little cars.

lashonda : 1997 Jeep Cherokee Country-ev7l4xs.jpg

lashonda : 1997 Jeep Cherokee Country-85kyret.jpg
Old 01-05-2014, 02:31 PM
CF Veteran

I'm guessing you go to KSU? Haha.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:49 PM

How'd you guess?
Old 01-05-2014, 03:51 PM
CF Veteran

How'd you guess?
Haha cool-you're like 10 minutes down the road from me. If you ever need help let me know and I'll see what I can do
Old 01-06-2014, 05:57 AM

Haha cool-you're like 10 minutes down the road from me. If you ever need help let me know and I'll see what I can do
I appreciate the offer. I typically try to carry my own burden as much as possible...but I'll keep the offer in mind. I feel like I know my limits and I'm not afraid to ask for a tip in the right direction. Even after living here for 2+ years I haven't really met any other gear heads. The only guys I did know who worked on cars have recently moved away.

Thanks!

Last edited by lashonda; 01-14-2014 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:04 PM

I went up to the shop today to put down some money and they surprised me by having the car already done. Turns out they called me a couple of days ago and left a message. I asked them what number they had on file and it was my girlfriend's number.

Apparently someone just forgot to mention that they had a missed call and a message from a number they didn't recognize. Hm.

I drove the jeep back to pick up my girlfriend so she could come drive one of the cars back from North GA Automotive. When I got to the apartment I noticed the oil pressure was at 0 and the Check Gauges light was on. I called the shop told them the problem, they said it was a sensor and to bring it back tomorrow. I asked if it were okay to drive and he said yeah. When I left the apartment a couple of minutes later I noticed that the light shut off after running for a couple of minutes and the gauge then began to fluctuate.

I dropped it off at the shop and drove home. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow...

In other news, I received more crappy lights in the mail that I can't use, oh and some arms for the rear lift gate. I bought various lights from different vendors to see what was best (or if there was any difference). I also got plenty of extras.

lashonda : 1997 Jeep Cherokee Country-adfvdfz.jpg

Last edited by lashonda; 01-14-2014 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:33 PM

Got those crappy lights installed. Wish I could change the LCD color for the odometer, but even with it the stock color it looks good. Looks like I'm getting a 3" lift and my front bumper fixed. I'm excited.

lashonda : 1997 Jeep Cherokee Country-r2kozcg.jpg

lashonda : 1997 Jeep Cherokee Country-appnu7l.jpg

lashonda : 1997 Jeep Cherokee Country-gicttki.jpg

Last edited by lashonda; 01-29-2014 at 09:36 PM.