Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jerome

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Jerome

I wasn't sure I was making a build thread for this one but I figured, what the heck. If anything it will get lost in the threads. I originally bought this Cherokee to turn around and make money but I think I decided to make it my trail rig and not mess up my 89 Pioneer. I am calling it Jerome because I was texting my cousin the word Cherokee and I misspelled it and it changed Cherokee to Jerome.

I bought this jeep cheap but it is in fairly good condition. I has a few dents and needs a new tail light. But everything is out of it. All the seats and interior. The PO did the DIY rhino liner and did a good job on it. The exterior is also done in bed liner too. Not crazy on it but like the tan color. The motor was is out along with the transmission and transfer case. He originally blew the motor in this jeep and ended up pulling it and making it a 4.6 stroker out of it. SO he found a donor jeep and basically swapped drive trains.

I moved to west Virginia the next day after I bought it to intern for an oil and gas company over the summer for two months but my dad said he would tackle the job of putting it back together. He put the motor, transmission and transfer case together but has not put it in yet. It has been very raining in Naples, Fl from what Ive been told. He has put most of the interior in it too. I will have to replace at least one front seat.

I don't know much about the suspension. I know the rear has like a 3 inch block and I would assume a lifted spring. The front looks like its rough country coils considering its red. I would say its about 5 to 6 inches of lift. The tires that came are roll arounds. One has the wire showing so I bought new tires in Ohio a couple of weeks ago. I got used 35x15.5xr15 swampers on simulated bedlock rims. Rims need paint but will be perfect and I can sell the other rims also.

Plans would be to upgrade the D35 maybe gears and lockers. theres a couple aussie on clist for the 35 for cheap I might grab. Then might swap the block for a shackle. Will make my own bumpers. Doing both front and rear tube bumpers. And I think I will do the TJ fender flares to cover up the whole from the safari snorkel he jacked off it. It will be sort of slow build bc I do work and go to school full time. But I will update on things when they happen

Jerome-jeep3.jpg

Jerome-jeep1.jpg

Jerome-jeep2.jpg
Old 08-29-2013, 07:43 PM

Some updates.
Im back from my adventures in West Virginia and got the motor set. Now I have been struggling with all the wiring and plugging stuff up and rewiring all the wires that were cut. Got everything working for the most point. Had the motor turn over but with starting fluid. Took us awhile to get the coil to fire but found the plug for it. The metal fuel line going into the fuel rail that hooks into the pressure regulator is not there and the rubber line was cut. I think I got the right stuff to hook up the fuel but will find out in the morning. I still have driveshafts, radiator, front clip, tranny lines, shift linkage, and all the inside seats and plastics to go in. Good thing is I have all of it. I put my wheels and tires on. Painted the rims and they look good. The tires are 15.5 and must be on a wide rim because the tires were barely bigger than the 33s I took off. Wish they were a little bigger. Im going to get the tj flares. Personally I like the look and its a good way to cover that hole in the fender. Two birds... Heres some pics and hopefully will have some updates soon of the beast being driven soon.
Jerome-jeep-cherokee.jpg

Jerome-jeepcherokee2.jpg
Old 08-29-2013, 09:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by mattfish1
Some updates.
Im back from my adventures in West Virginia and got the motor set. Now I have been struggling with all the wiring and plugging stuff up and rewiring all the wires that were cut. Got everything working for the most point. Had the motor turn over but with starting fluid. Took us awhile to get the coil to fire but found the plug for it. The metal fuel line going into the fuel rail that hooks into the pressure regulator is not there and the rubber line was cut. I think I got the right stuff to hook up the fuel but will find out in the morning. I still have driveshafts, radiator, front clip, tranny lines, shift linkage, and all the inside seats and plastics to go in. Good thing is I have all of it. I put my wheels and tires on. Painted the rims and they look good. The tires are 15.5 and must be on a wide rim because the tires were barely bigger than the 33s I took off. Wish they were a little bigger. Im going to get the tj flares. Personally I like the look and its a good way to cover that hole in the fender. Two birds... Heres some pics and hopefully will have some updates soon of the beast being driven soon.
Word of advice, don't go beyond 33's on your D35. With 35's u ll destroy it, not worth spending money to upgrade it.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:43 PM

I Have gotten the jeep running. Almost everything is installed. I am missing the fan pulley on the passenger side for i can route the belt correctly. Hopefully making a trip to the jy this weekend. Hoepfully getting that and a couple other things such as an airbox and such. I got some tj flares for cheap. Im using them to hide the po snorkle hole but it puts the flares up high. looks a little wierd but will work.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:00 PM

So I have gotten the jeep running and driving. A few issues... when the jeep is in drive it boggs down like its in a high gear, but when i put it in first it goes just fine. (automatic trans). Not sure really whats going on. plenty of fluid and i believe everything is hooked up. any input will be checked. And second I need a aftermarket mount for an intake tube. This one has a weird mount to the throttle body and i dont have nay of the air box stuff. Rly dont want to spend the 150 on the spectre induction but thats the only thing i find with the mount. And finally i have bad axle wrap. It does have a block but the block is mounted in the right spot and i went through and tightened the u-bolts tight. Might try new u bolts but not sure why it is doing that. I am getting new calibers since i coulnt get the bleeder out and they are cheap. Other than i few small leaks (rear diff and driveshaft seal) everything is coming together. Any info on the other problems will help
Old 10-26-2013, 07:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 HO

The axle wrap is coming from the lift blocks. It puts to much torque on the blocks and will cause the axle wrap. Remove the blocks and get proper lift springs or get a longer shackle.