Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Impulsive CL buy

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Impulsive CL buy

I've been seeing all these XJs for sale around me for pretty cheap so...out of impulse I bought this off craigslist.

Few things first, this isn't my only jeep, or only vehicle. I currently have my 97 TJ and an 05 ford f150.

Heres the link to my TJ if interested.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/9...build-1186424/

what the XJ is:
4.0L
Aftermarket steel front and rear bumpers
30" tires
Steel wheels
2" lift. No idea of what kind
Roof basket which I added from a friend right after I picked it up.
And some rust!

Plans:
swap out the rusty 2" lift and replace it with a 3" lift
33"s
Some offroad lights. Probably LED
Take off the decals
New speakers
New exhaust, this one is barely there.
Any maintenance I come across. I just picked it up so I haven't looked into it too much.

Over all, I drove it about 80 miles today with no problems. Besides the rattling loud exhaust. The rockers have been reinforced. Little rust on the bottom of the inside of the door. But overall, the fenders are all in one piece and underneath looks pretty good from what I've looked at since I brought it home. Needs some TLC. Passenger power window only works when it wants, and one of the rear doors doesnt open. Fog lights up front dont work. But the 4x4 works! lol

This is my first go with an XJ though..so we will see what happens.
Attached Thumbnails Impulsive CL buy-20151023_152850.jpg   Impulsive CL buy-20151022_180325.jpg  
Attached Images   
Old 10-23-2015, 05:34 PM

The exhaust that was on there was barely hanging scrap metal. Cut the cat out today and threw on a flowmaster muffler. We fixed a leaky brake line while it was up on the lift. Also got some of the stickers off

Old 10-23-2015, 05:35 PM

I was going to do a 3" lift now im looking at a 4.5" lift since its not that much more and I can replace the arms and sway bar links with that kit.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:36 PM

check engine light is on for thermostat. Didnt even know that could trigger the CEL. Anyway, I noticed sometimes even after driving for a while it wouldnt get completely up to temp. And other times at red lights it went up a bit. Too cold and windy to replace today but possibly monday
Old 10-26-2015, 06:48 PM

The check engine light is on. Inactive thermostat. I didnt know that could throw a code? Anyway, I noticed that even after driving for a while it wouldn't always warm up to where it should be, itd be slightly cooler. Then, at red lights it seems to overheat just a bit. Not a lot, but the needle noticeably moves up. Its cold and windy today so maybe ill get to it this weekend or monday
Old 10-26-2015, 06:49 PM

Ordered my lift kit today. Went with a basic 3". Was going to do 4.5" but didn't want to spend the cash for an sye. So 3" along with a new steering stabilizer and 1.5" wheel spacers for when I get some 33s. Also new sway bar links..the kit comes with a what looks like brackets to extend the original ones...but mine are shot so I got some for a 3" lift.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:49 PM

Changed my oil, plugs, wires, cap, and my thermostat. Now it starts up with no hesitation and seems to heat up all the way and stay there. And no check engine light anymore with new exhaust and tstat. Successful day I'd say. Want to take off my flares tomorrow. Didnt get to it today. Hopefully theres isnt too much rust under them but doesnt matter I guess because I am going to cut my fenders a bit to fit the 33s.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:50 PM

All needed to be replaced

Old 10-26-2015, 06:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 90
Engine: 4.0

Good idea, replacing those plugs and wires. Rust isn't very conductive.

Paint scheme on the Jeep is cool, but that Autobot logo is a bit too much.

Still, it looks like a clean basis for a nice project.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Scott'sXJ
Good idea, replacing those plugs and wires. Rust isn't very conductive.

Paint scheme on the Jeep is cool, but that Autobot logo is a bit too much.

Still, it looks like a clean basis for a nice project.
haha i agree. I hate that sticker. But, im scared to peel it off and the paint come with it. Going to pull out the heat gun maybe tomorrow and peel it off. I got rid of all the zombie stickers too. Besides that I like the green.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Year: 1991 2-Door
Engine: 4.0 liter

Nice little XJ, Looks like you already enjoy some 4 Wheeling so you will know exactly what you want to do with it.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:40 PM

Did a good cleaning today of the interior. Dont think its been clean for a longggg time...Also got new speakers for the front doors. I'll do some in the rear later. The kid I got it from was like "speakers dont work so well, no idea why"...well maybe because they are factory Chrysler speakers barely together lol.

Old 10-27-2015, 05:40 PM

The passenger door didnt open from the outside before and didnt shut unless it was in the "lock" position. while the panel was off, sprayed some WD40 and bam, opens just fine from the outside and shuts fine. SPrayed it in all the doors. But, the passenger side rear door is jammed shut. The button on the outside is pushed in..tried getting it loose but no go. DOesnt matter right now, maybe ill mess with it another time. Also got some stickers off! LEft the "cherokee" on it because it was getting too dark to see if i was scratching the paint for not. Looks much better

Old 10-27-2015, 05:41 PM

Took one of the flares off to see underneath and theres some rust..but when i do the lift kit Friday I am going to remove the flares and cut and fold!
Old 10-27-2015, 06:10 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001

Paint scheme is alright, I could deal with that. I assume you're going with the 4.5" lift, what kit did you purchase & what tire size are you planning on running? Best thing to do along with your lift would go with a "good" double sheer track bar....

"A little rust..." my XJ is more rust than steel these days.

keep your build going, looks like your TJ came out really good. I miss my TJ..... a lot.....

Quick Reply: Impulsive CL buy