Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i'm a newb and i need help!!

Old 04-04-2010, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default i'm a newb and i need help!!

so i had a piece of crap jeep quite a few years ago but still fell in love. i'm looking to buy a jeep but i have no idea where to start. i know that i want the older looking cherokee but whether i go for a 1990 or 1997 i don't know.
right now on craigslist here in alaska there is a 1990 cherokee4 door, 5 speed manual, not sure on engine size. for 300 bucks, the engine is blown, so... i have minimal experience actually working on vehichles but i am very mechanically inclined and understand pretty well the terminology and the way engines work, give me a manual with pics and i can do pretty much any thing. however i also have minimal tools. is this a good deal? should i buy the cheap jeep and buy a new engine and drop it in or should i buy something already running. also i'm worried that if i buy a jeep with 80-100k it's gonna blow and i'll have to replace it any way. my budget is somewhat limited but there's a little wiggle room and the wife is somewhat on board. any advice is much appreciated. there are a ton of jeeps in ak, if this is not a good choice what should i look for in a good deal. and if the engine was cared for how many miles are a lot on a 4.0 6 cyl engine. my old jeep was a manual, 2 wheel dr with 188k and it barely burned oil. any way i'm rambling now. thanks in advance for any replys.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Buy the one with a blown motor and DIY. Nothing beats doing the work yourself...seriously.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:14 PM

like i said i have minimal tools, like one set of socket wrenches, and a jack. oh and i don't have a garage. not to say i couldn't get one of those car port tents at costco. if i do it myself, what am i looking at as far as money and time. really i have plenty of time all i have to do is shut the tv off and i'll have a couple hours a night. really i'm worried about being motivated a month down the road, what tools are absolutely necessary and how much would they cost. and are there any others out there in my situation that have done it themselves and have any tips?
Old 04-04-2010, 10:36 PM

i just found out that the engine is a 4.0 straight 6 and is not fuel injected... does that matter. he said the guy ran it in 4 low on the highway for like 15 miles and when he got there to help him out it was running really rough and knocking really bad. in this case does anybody think if the block is intact i could have it bored out and buy a new head and pistons... or is it better to buy a new engine that is fuel injected? thanks.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers and a foot pound torque wrench....the basics really. You can rent a hoist and an engine stand for a few bucks at your locak rental yard. Swapping a motor can easily be done ina weekend with a little help from your fellow wheelers.

You'll be amazed at how many people will show up for beer, pizza, and wrenching.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:07 PM

I think you should find another engine. The cost of the rebuild might add up if the cam is shot or the crank is badly scored. As well you will be happier with the fuel injected, but to swap will be a big job. On the other hand if you have lots of time and money it can be done.

as far as 80 to 100k miles, that's not really alot for a well maintained jeep. I have one with 500,035km and it still runs but got introduced to a deer at highway speed. ouch!!! good luck

Last edited by milemarker1; 04-04-2010 at 11:09 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:11 PM

awesome, thanks, i think the 1990 will be great with a newer fuel injected engine. good point about the beer and pizza, my buddy just moved and it only took the same for me to show up. 2 more quick questions, since there are so many jeeps in ak, do you think i should wait for better blown engine deal in a newer body, like a 95 or 97. or is 1990 a decent year? also i have work on the house through the next couple months, is this a good enough deal to buy it now for 300 and then in late summer/fall start the work. or should i wait? thanks again for the help guys and gals if there are any posting.