Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello, i need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Hello, i need help

Hi,

I used to own a 91 jeep cherokee and i absolutely loved it. 1 Divorce later i no longer own it. Anyways i am looking to start a major project. I am looking to buy a 4D jeep cherokee from around that time period. I love he box style frame. i am probably going to buy a 91-95. Here is my plan. I want to totally overhaul the jeep cherokee. I am planning on dropping a new engine, new transmission, and new suspension. I will be upfront, i am not very mechanically inclined and really don't know where to start. i want to spend some serious money on it considering i am doing this instead of buying a new car, so i want to invest some money in this project. I need help. the questions i have are:
1. what is the best model and year if i want to drop a new motor in it? I want to put in a very nice motor and i don't know which model and year would be best to do that while keeping the box style frame?
2. out of the 91-95 models, which model is best for modifying?
3. what issues do i have to watch out for with these older models?
4. is it worth it to do a total overhaul to these vehicles and how much am i looking to spend if i replace most of the key parts?
I am sorry but i am a new to this and i don't quite know what i am doing, but i know what i want to do. I basically just want a good sturdy frame, i don't care if the vehicle is running, i am going to replace most everything. I am planning on finishing this project and keeping it for 10+ years. thanks for your help
immanuel rx
Old 03-22-2012, 08:53 AM

Year: 88
Engine: 4.0l

Two things stand out in your write-up:

1) you mentioned twice about the box frame & wanting a sturdy frame; - you do know that xj's don't have a true frame? they are a unibody vehicle, most who do any heavy modification including hard 4-wheeling mods, HAVE to re-inforce the 'frame' so they dont twist and flex too much.

2) you asked a very open-ended question about if they are worth it? from a financial point of view: no. But then again, I have never owned a vehicle (any type) that has been financially worth it to modify...

Having said that, I have built a Lot of heavily modified vehicles from 600hp 'vettes, to Broncos, to trucks to my current xj on 1-tons and a BUNCH of money and help dumped into it. Financially NONE of them were worth it - but we only go through this life once... and if we do it 'right', once should be enough.
If that's your dream - go for it, you'll gain a ton of knowledge, hopefully make some friends along the way, and just enjoy the ride...

good luck.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:25 AM

Well, i am not very familiar with what i am about to do. What would you suggest i do to research into it? I am trying to gain understand as to what i am about to attempt to do so i don't screw things up or get taken to the cleaners. I was going to buy a 30,000 car. I figure if i stay below that in the rebuilding of a cherokee, i will be doing ok. My concern is, whether or not it is realistic to have this rebuilding project my everyday vehicle for the next 5-10 years? obviously the downfall is the gas mileage, but i figured if i get the right motor, i can combat some of that. again, I'm new at this. thanks for your feedback.
immanuel rx
Old 03-22-2012, 10:45 AM

I have to agree with XSXJ, that if it is your dream then go for it, but proceed with caution because rebuilds almost never go as we would like and if you are new at mechanics then you will want to invest in some worthy tools. I cannot tell you how many times I have done just minor jobs on my car with the wrong tools (because I lacked the proper tools) it's can become quite enraging but I love working on cars so I continued to do so. My recommendation is once you find the jeep you want, invest in a Haynes book for your make and model, these books are usually based on an entire breakdown and rebuild so it is more then helpful. Honestly be realistic about the approach and sit down and price it out to see if it is worth it, factor in the cost of the vehicle, tools to do the job and not just hand tools either definitely pressurized tools and you'll need an engine jack if you are switching out the engine (I highly recommend Harbor Freight tools if you have one in your area, saw and engine jack there for a couple hundred bucks), and the cost of your own time because this will be a time consuming project. Once you have a solid list of what the cost and effort will be and you still want to do it then go for it, you will for sure learn a lot of cool stuff.