Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Jeep! looking for suggestions

Old 11-09-2011, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Exclamation First Jeep! looking for suggestions

over the last summer I bought my first Jeep. it's a 2001 Cherokee 4.0L automatic. I want to do a little bit of work to it but nothing over the top. any suggestions/tips/things to look out for. this is what I had in mind.

-roller rockers
-bigger tires (maybe treadwright???)
-2" body lift
-new injectors
-diamond fire plugs???
-skid plates
-light bar
-bull bar?
-rear mounted spare tire
-tow hooks/trailer hitch

basically, I want it to look very clean. I don't want anything that is crazy. it's my daily driver and since I go to school in the city, I also really care about gas mileage. I'm also in the process of transferring colleges so money is a HUGE issue. any help will be very much appreciated!
Old 11-09-2011, 02:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 97

You can't do a body lift on an xj. They are unibody, but you can do a 2" budget boost. There are tons of options as far as companies that make budget boosts. Look around in the vendor forums there are a lot of great ppl on here that will hook you up.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: I6

Hi, i just bought a jeep too over the summer, ive had a bunch of friends with jeeps in the past and i figured it was time for me too to start working on one.
If I was you I would install economy truck tires. They make lots of tires for pickups that help with gas millage and save you some doe at the pumps, do some research, when we looked for tires for my old mans truck (2500 dodge with 275s) VIP helped alot, also a local tire wearhouse can get you good deals.
Upgrade your intake. Cold air boosts HP and is said to also help gas milage. but make sure to build it to be protected from dirt and mud (ex from it shooting up under your jeep happened to a friend)
Think of weight when you go to install all of your upgrades. weighing down your car will not only make wheeling hard but will also effect your price at the pump.
other than that a 2 inch budget boost can help, also ive heard of some people going to junk yards and doing builds using parts from other cars (not sure what ones)

Hope this helps
Old 11-10-2011, 05:01 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97

Originally Posted by NHfireslayer
Hi, i just bought a jeep too over the summer, ive had a bunch of friends with jeeps in the past and i figured it was time for me too to start working on one.
If I was you I would install economy truck tires. They make lots of tires for pickups that help with gas millage and save you some doe at the pumps, do some research, when we looked for tires for my old mans truck (2500 dodge with 275s) VIP helped alot, also a local tire wearhouse can get you good deals.
Upgrade your intake. Cold air boosts HP and is said to also help gas milage. but make sure to build it to be protected from dirt and mud (ex from it shooting up under your jeep happened to a friend)
Think of weight when you go to install all of your upgrades. weighing down your car will not only make wheeling hard but will also effect your price at the pump.
other than that a 2 inch budget boost can help, also ive heard of some people going to junk yards and doing builds using parts from other cars (not sure what ones)

Hope this helps
There is a thread on this forum that lists all the parts from other vehicles that will work on xjs and it is super helpful. Search for that thread and check it out. The people on this site are great and very helpful. Just look around and you will find what you need
Old 11-11-2011, 12:15 AM

Year: 1990
Engine: l6 242

as far as the diamond fire spark plugs. you'll find a lot of people still run the oem champion's in their rigs.
personally i deviated from champion and went to bosch, regretted that after it made the xj run like crap and went back to oem.
also from what ive heard, bull bars in accidents crush the entire front end, better to go with a full blown bumper.
and whatever you do in regards to lift, replace with full springs/leaves, you'll appreciate it more. and possibly skip 2", maybe go for 3".

food for thought.
have with your rig.