Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damnit! Still hate my Jeep(s) BUILD THREAD 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 05:52 PM
Old Skewl CF like a Sir

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L High Output OBDII
Default Damnit! Still hate my Jeep(s) BUILD THREAD 2.0

Alright then. So my other build is still in the works, and has gotten some great responses.

Original thread - https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/th...-thread-56204/

Thanks to everyone that's been following it since last year. Don't be mistaken, that build is still going hard and strong... and hard.

BUT, since aquiring the lil' Jeep in December, I feel the peppy little fella deserves his own thread too. Different approach on this one.

NOTE: This is NOT a 4x4. Its NOT a trail rig. It's NOT a "more MPG's" project. Its to make an everyday, daily driven, 2wD XJ... well, no other way to say it,

make the thing a lil' bastard!

Stats -

1995 XJ Sport
2WD
a really healthy 4.0L.
AW4. Dana 35 with LSD.

Body is in near perfect shape, and she does my 40 mile commute every day.

The Goal = have something fun, tough, that'll tow my other XJ without breaking a sweat. (And before the nay-sayers arrive, the XJ can tow a truck equal it's weight, on a trailer, safely. Done it several times.

Pics to come.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

I'm waiting....
Old 04-10-2011, 02:48 PM
Old Skewl CF like a Sir

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L High Output OBDII

Alright. The victom, I mean truck -

First order of busniess. The tires I got pretty lucky on, as someone decided to put 255/75/15 E load tires on it. Stoked, they hold up to some grueling stuff pretty darn good, and the extra width gives more traction for cornering, braking, and towing.

While I don't advise this, the PO had straight piped the truck. This is ilegal so do not do this on your own rig.

First thing I slapped in was a new 2 core radiator.

After, I took off the wimpy 7/8" reciver, and put in a new 2" 5,000 lbs class III Reese Towmaster hitch.

At this point, she cruised nicely at about 55 mph with a 19' trailer and the big XJ out back -

But why do things, when you can overdue things?

This truck never had a extra transmission cooler. So I considered getting one. Then, I considered getting one meant for RV's and 1 ton trucks equipped to tow 5th wheel trailers. Which do you think we went with?

Yep yep. Thats up to this afternoon. In the next few weeks she's gonna get a bastard packed rear leaf spring setup to cope with towing, a new trailer wiring harness, all the flushes, and eventually, the Rustys Offroad performance pack, that includes the cat-back, bored throttle body & spacer and CAI. Also going to be doing the rear disc brake conversion.

The motor and tranny are incredibly healthy, so this was a great truck to start with.

My goal is tourqe. I want lots and lots and lots of tourqes.

Last edited by Bustedknuckle; 04-10-2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Torque ftw!!!!!!

Looks nice Patrick. How much was that transmission cooler if you don't mind me asking? I want to equip my Cherokee with one since I recently got bigger tires and Moab rims (FINALLY) and want to be safe. Check out my thread to see the updated pictures of mine next to William's also. (They look like twins)

Have you thought about injector swap? Perhaps the NEON injector swap?