Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dad's new "Porsche" project...

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Dad's new "Porsche" project...

I'm Dad. And no, I am not in the wrong place - and this is not going to be a thread about a Porsche project. Let me explain briefly: I sold my 83 911 cabriolet about 5 years ago due to a family illness. It was the right thing to do at the time, but timing turns out to have really sucked. Things are all better now with regards to the illness, but the air cooled 911 market has nearly tripled since I sold mine, and I just can't justify spending that much money right now on a project (still have kids in college and at home). Sooo, enter the XJ. I have had about 4 now over the last 4 years. I currently have a Chili Pepper Red 98 Classic 4x4. It has been my DD for the last year. And then it happened... the other day, I came across a deal I could not turn down. A green 95 XJ Sport 4x4. Not much to look at as the clear coat has pretty much peeled off of all top surfaces, but it only has 153k miles, and I got it for $650. Mechanically, it is in really good condition... not perfect mind you, but really good. Here it is when I brought it home. We'll call this phase 0.
Attached Thumbnails Dad's new "Porsche" project...-image.jpeg  
Old 12-09-2015, 09:17 PM

Phase 1: took it to a shop I deal with a bit to get everything checked out on the suspension, as well as a total changeout of all the fluids, and an alignment (the steering wheel was off-center CCW about 45 degrees? I figured the drag link needed adjusted. The report came back as I stole the jeep (was in great shape mechanically). So, I fixed a few of the nuisance issues, like rear wiper, vent fan, etc. And then I decided, yeah, maybe I will do some mods? So I find a great deal on month old 31 x 10.5's on some stock steelies. Here it is after the bigger tires and a bath. This is it sitting in the parking lot of Tom's 4x4 Superstore in Chattanooga, TN. I am down here this week on business and decided to bring it on this trip on a shakedown "cruise". Ran great. Drove great. It deserves a Christmas present, hence the trip to Tom's. I am having a 3" lift installed. Was planning on doing it myself, but being realistic about my time and while I have changed out plenty of shocks, etc, I have never really messed with lifting a vehicle before. I thought the price was right, so pulled the trigger and pick it back up tomorrow. Will post a post-lift pic when I get back. Also having bearings redone for preventative maintenance. This is my first lift and I went with a basic RC 3" lift with their 2.0 shocks. I am thinking already from reading, that I may try to find a good deal on some Rubicon shocks to use with this lift. Also planning already to blackout the rims and use chrome center caps.
Attached Thumbnails Dad's new "Porsche" project...-image.jpeg  
Old 12-10-2015, 07:15 PM

phase 2 complete - the tires no longer rub. Tom's 4x4 Superstore in Chattanooga did a great job. Also took care of a bad wheel bearing unit. The ride of the RC lift is definitely more stiff, but I like the feel of it actually. We'll see if I feel the same tomorrow night after I make the 5 hour drive home.
Attached Thumbnails Dad's new "Porsche" project...-image.jpg   Dad's new "Porsche" project...-image.jpeg