Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comanche 4WD Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 12:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Comanche 4WD Conversion

Specs of Jeeps

Cherokee
Year: 1993
Type: 4WD Sport
Engine: 4.0L I6
Transmission: AW4 4 Speed Automatic

Comanche
Year: 1988
Type: 2WD
Engine: 2.5L I4 TBI
Transmission: AX4 4 Speed Manual

My questions are these:
  • Will a 4.0L fit into the space of a 2.5L? (Such as placement of engine mounts.)
  • What would need to be done to swap the 2WD Comanche Manual Tranny with the 4WD Cherokee Automatic Tranny?
  • Is there a place to mount the transfer case with the 4WD Cherokee Automatic Tranny?
  • Will both axles of the Comanche have to be replaced with those from the Cherokee?
  • Will I have to also have to swap drivetrains?

These are just questions that come to the top of my head right now. The reason I ask is because I have come into the possession of this Cherokee, but the entire body of the Cherokee is rusted; it is surprising the thing is still holding together. Everything besides the body of the Cherokee is fine, as I recently replaced the leaf springs, shocks, coil springs, hubs, axles, and what have you with new ones with a 3 inch lift kit. The rust came from its time spent on the winter-salted roads from up North. There is a Comanche for sale for very cheap; it just needs a new engine. Is this project possible, or would I just be doing it in vain? Any other information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:48 AM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.7 stroker turbo

I've done that swap before. ( except no 4 cyl.) Motors are not hard to replace. I always pull my jeep motor with trans still attached. The automatic will fit. The transfer case will fit. Comanche come with brackets for both auto and standard peddle brackets . It will definitely be easier with a donor vehicle. It sounds like you have one. There is usually a lot of hidden problems. Like brackets , electrical , drive shaft length , etc. The comanche is worth all of the time spent. Their getting rare ! If your not a patent person don't do this . It will take awhile. You will have lots of advice from this forum if you need it. Lots of people here have parts they can give or sell cheap . You can see my comanche on my page. The trans , motor , wiring , front end. Transfer case, interior have all come from a Cherokee limited.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:30 AM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.7 stroker turbo

I just noticed your year models. You'll have to swap the wiring. Maybe the dash too. Not too hard on a jeep. These things are easy to work on.
P.s. A stroker motor will really wake this truck up.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:43 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Chiako
Specs of Jeeps

My questions are these:
  • Will a 4.0L fit into the space of a 2.5L? (Such as placement of engine mounts.)
  • What would need to be done to swap the 2WD Comanche Manual Tranny with the 4WD Cherokee Automatic Tranny?
  • Is there a place to mount the transfer case with the 4WD Cherokee Automatic Tranny?
  • Will both axles of the Comanche have to be replaced with those from the Cherokee?
  • Will I have to also have to swap drivetrains?
  • The 4L will fit fine, you may need to change the motor mounts though
  • Swap the computer and all wiring with the engine and transmission
  • Yes, make a simple crossbrace/skid plate go across the "frame" rails
  • No, just the front axle. If the commanche has a D35 i'd swap the cherokee axles too though
  • The only things to be swapped are those shown above. Keep the front DS out of the XJ though.
Answered in order.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:47 AM
Seasoned Member

Yeah you'll need to do the dash, the speedo is cable driven in the '88 and electrically in the '93. Its very doable, just take your time label everything, even take pictures. I'd basically swap everything from the XJ. Like Comanchemty stated, if you aren't patient don't do it. Because it will take time.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:19 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by PolarXJ
Yeah you'll need to do the dash, the speedo is cable driven in the '88 and electrically in the '93. Its very doable, just take your time label everything, even take pictures. I'd basically swap everything from the XJ. Like Comanchemty stated, if you aren't patient don't do it. Because it will take time.
+1

3-6 months if you're just working evenings and prepping everything properly.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L HO

thinking about doing the same swap, if my buddy ever makes up his mind about whether or not he is keeping his '88 4-banger MJ....

everyone has given you the jist of things....but i will say that you need to swap both axles because the 2.5L/AX-4 probly has 4.10 gears and the 4.0L/AW4 has 3.55s