Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

College Student with a beat up Jeep (for now)

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 03:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Straight Six
Default College Student with a beat up Jeep (for now)

About 3 months ago my S10 broke down for the last time, my brother suggested a Jeep and I listened, being stupid and impulsive I bought the first one I came across. Spent $800. Floors were solid, rockers pretty rusty, ran kinda good but missing a few parts, no exhaust, missing PCV tubes and a few interior things that make it look good. Only has 206,300 miles now.

So to this day I have done just the basic stuff to keep her running and on the road, still have no exhaust, my rear suspension seems like I should replace it, a bunch of electrical issues(no dash lights and the fog lights were wired terribly), my u-joints are completely shot (tried to replace them today but rusted solid, got a mechanic to replace them in a few days.), brake lines are almost done for I think and my doors are weird to open.

My plan is to do the U-joints, exhaust and fix the electrical issues first. I should have it done in a few weeks.

When summer comes around I plan on fixing the rust, then lifting it. I was thinking something like a 2 or 3 inch lift, I dont need much and its about the same price as a stock suspension in the rear. Ill change the brake lines to a YJ(I heard this allows extra flex without tearing the brake lines apart) at this time unless they break before then. I also want to be able to take the doors off in summer (they are electric).

Should be a basic build, but it's my first one and Im not the most mechanically inclined.
Attached Thumbnails College Student with a beat up Jeep (for now)-img_0106.jpg  
Old 12-26-2013, 03:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Here should be older pics. I'll try to get more current pics soon.
Attached Thumbnails College Student with a beat up Jeep (for now)-image-1552359390.jpg   College Student with a beat up Jeep (for now)-image-2868865157.jpg   College Student with a beat up Jeep (for now)-image-1629604638.jpg   College Student with a beat up Jeep (for now)-image-1105884794.jpg  
Old 12-26-2013, 03:34 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Cool.

Take your time, read, read some more, save your money, read, don't be cheap, read some more, don't half *** anything, read, then build your Jeep.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:44 PM
Seasoned Member

College Student with a beat up Jeep (for now)-image-1898308721.jpg

Someone kicked in the side door. My dad popped it out. I was more gentle because I didn't want to break my window motor.(foolish me) He didn't care and he got most of the dent out. I actually couldn't roll the window down because the dent was that far in.
Attached Thumbnails College Student with a beat up Jeep (for now)-image-3530854968.jpg   College Student with a beat up Jeep (for now)-image-2406261132.jpg   College Student with a beat up Jeep (for now)-image-1649596514.jpg   College Student with a beat up Jeep (for now)-image-216836700.jpg   College Student with a beat up Jeep (for now)-image-770775259.jpg  

College Student with a beat up Jeep (for now)-image-2816689443.jpg   College Student with a beat up Jeep (for now)-image-1882962429.jpg   College Student with a beat up Jeep (for now)-image-3373802527.jpg   College Student with a beat up Jeep (for now)-image-749179442.jpg   College Student with a beat up Jeep (for now)-image-315841831.jpg  

College Student with a beat up Jeep (for now)-image-291770875.jpg  
Old 12-27-2013, 02:51 PM
Seasoned Member

I will claim the wiring in the hatch. Back speakers were gone so I spliced in my speaker box. After a while I started to take rough back roads and the box would fly around so I took it out.

My drivers side mirror is held forward with black duct tape. Used to be pink. Might be why someone kicked my door in... I plan on getting the newer mirrors from a 2000 or so. Or mounting mirrors to the fenders since I want to take the doors off.

Rear wheel wells are kinda rusted. I'll fix that up in summer. Along with the rocker panels. Maybe even change the doors?

On Monday I will change spark plugs, wires, air filter, and hood release cable. My current hood release broke so I use a vise grip to open the hood.

Still not sure on exhaust to get. Got the tail pipe but I need a muffler. I was thinking a cheap glass pack. Or just a pipe. The cops haven't said anything and it's been like this since I got it. I love the sound of no muffler.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:57 PM
Seasoned Member

In the first picture I like the look of the fender flares. Anyone know where I can get some like that?

The second pic is what I'd like to do to the rear end. I miss my s10 because I could haul whatever I wanted in the back. So I was thinking a small storage area for firewood, deer, garbage, or other things id rather not have in the cabin.
This may not happen but I'd like to. If not. The rear cargo area is getting torn apart and stripped to metal and bedlinered.
Attached Thumbnails College Student with a beat up Jeep (for now)-image-1417506826.jpg   College Student with a beat up Jeep (for now)-image-3621325140.jpg  
Old 12-27-2013, 10:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996

Originally Posted by one_speed_heuer
In the first picture I like the look of the fender flares. Anyone know where I can get some like that?

The second pic is what I'd like to do to the rear end. I miss my s10 because I could haul whatever I wanted in the back. So I was thinking a small storage area for firewood, deer, garbage, or other things id rather not have in the cabin.
This may not happen but I'd like to. If not. The rear cargo area is getting torn apart and stripped to metal and bedlinered.
Bushwhacker flat flares. Bushwhacker flat flares.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:49 PM
Seasoned Member

I got my U-joints in the front axles changed, extremely happy, no more clunking when I turn the wheels. Only cost $100 at the repair shop, it was too rusted to get undone. Parents said it would be like $150, and I hoped it would only be $100.

Was gonna change spark plugs, etc. but today its like 8 degrees, so Im chilling inside until it warms up.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:36 PM
Seasoned Member

I finally changed my air filter, but my spark plugs and wires are still sitting in the back of my Jeep. My tail pipe has been there for a month or 2. I've grown to like the sound of no exhaust and am thinking of straight piping, probably keeping the cat still on. Laws say I have to. But they also say I need a muffler.

I've decided on a 2.5 to 3 inch lift. From what I understand, any higher you need a transfer case drop and I'd like to stay kinda simple. And I think you can keep the stock brake lines.

On a negative note, the rear brakes probably need to be changed.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Ok, Ive been doing more planning on redoing my Jeep and Im not sure if Im gonna keep this one or buy one with less rust.

I basically need to change all 4 doors and fix the hatch(it rattles a lot and loudly).
Does anyone know if you can put doors from a 98-01 in a 91 with out changing out the door panels or cutting up the dash? Back doors seem like a quick swap but the front doors Im not sure about.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996

Originally Posted by one_speed_heuer
Ok, Ive been doing more planning on redoing my Jeep and Im not sure if Im gonna keep this one or buy one with less rust.

I basically need to change all 4 doors and fix the hatch(it rattles a lot and loudly).
Does anyone know if you can put doors from a 98-01 in a 91 with out changing out the door panels or cutting up the dash? Back doors seem like a quick swap but the front doors Im not sure about.
The hinges are different but other than that it would work fine. AFAIK the electrical would be different, though, you'd have to consult some wiring diagrams and figure it out.

I also think the strikers might be in a different place or designed differently. You might want to search on some Comanche Forums for a bit of info, they do the door swap often

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/bo...j-door-upgade/

There ya go^

I'll sum it up.

Striker is different, you need to grab the strikers and bolts from the donor vehicle.

Hinges are different, but your old ones will bolt on to the new door.

There is a clearance issue that makes it to where the glove box doesn't open all the way with the door closed. Minor inconvenience.

Last edited by tssguy123; 02-03-2014 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:52 PM

Year: 2000

About the transfer case drop...It is actually pretty simple, as it's just some spacers added, but there are complications with possibly wearing out other parts (motor mounts, etc.) faster. But it's not a complicated process at all. An sye is a bit more complicated, however, but does the same job without complications. Transfer case drops are considered temporary band-aids by many, but if I need one I'll probably have to have it for a while...Syes are expensive. Just some background info...I don't know if you need it or not, but I figured that if only a transfer case drop was stopping you from going taller on the lift, you should know that it's not too complicated. However, when you lift higher, you get into things like lower control arms and trac bars, etc. that need to be added. Btw I hear that you should get a new trac bar or relocate your old one either with a bracket (not usually recommended, for some reason), or by re-drilling its mounting points to center your axle. You may know all this, or maybe not haha. Good luck with the build! Also, I'm pretty jealous that you can get away without an exhaust there....Here, the limit is 95 decibels...
Old 02-03-2014, 09:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Thanks for the door info.

As for the higher lift. The more I thought about it, I realize I don't need much. I don't go off road too much and I could probably get away with no lift if I wanted. And the more stuff that gets changed the more expensive it tends to be when stuff goes wrong.

As for the muffler. Cops look at me funny but it's still quieter than a Harley. Even the ricers are louder. Except when I give her gas.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Does anyone know how to delete a thread? my plans have changed, Im likely getting a 89 comanche and this jeep will likely become a donor vehicle since the comanche is only 2wd
Old 02-26-2014, 06:33 AM

Year: 2000

A Comanche, huh? Nice! Seems like most people just ask for a moderator to delete the thread in their last post....

Quick Reply: College Student with a beat up Jeep (for now)