Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99XJ axle swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 10:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 99XJ axle swap

I never started a build thread over here so i'm going to cut/past posts from another site. Thats why some of the wording like "today" and such won't make sense but you'll get the idea.

Well, after several years of wheeling with the D30/8.25 its time to do a swap. I know alot of you guys are going to give me a hard time for this axle decision but get over it, its my jeep, not yours.

I'm going to be installing a set of Toyota FJ80 axles from a 91 land cruiser. I'm going to mock the front up using the stock radius arms (32" long from center of axle tube to end of arm) but will be completing the 3 link design once the axle is in place. Seeing as how its a pass side drop front, i'll be ditching the NP231 for a D300 with twin sticks.

I started tearing apart the whole FJ80 this week to part out all thats left.

I'll be looking for some 6 lug wheels and a clocking ring/adapter for the 300 if anyone has an extra.

pics to come!
Old 01-15-2010, 10:33 PM
Seasoned Member

a little bit of an update...
got rid of the D30/8.25, got a 91 FJ80 land cruiser and pulled the axles out of it to go under the XJ. Also picked up a D300 and will be building a twin stick setup. Planning on ordering the Novak adapter/clocking ring to bolt it up to my AW4.
I made some new frame mounts for the lower arms and bolted up the front axle using the stock radius arms (temporarily) I pushed the front axle out 1" but still have another 1.5" adjustment with the other holes so i can fine tune it later. plus my 3 link that i'll be building will be adjustable.
And don't worry, i still have 3 holes to drill through the sides and bolt through the frame. i'm also renforcing the inside of the frame rail.

I pulled off the steering arms from each knuckle and flipped them around (driver to pass, ect) to bring the tie rod up infront of the axle. It was hitting the arms once i put my pinion about where it needed to be so it had to move.
rolled the rear 80 axle under there and figured out how i would do the 4 link...then decided it wasn't going to work the way i wanted it to so i'll be going back with the leafs, but flipped around backwards to gain wheel base. I'm looking at having somewhere around 107" WB now.
I'm planning on cutting the side sheet metal along the top of the blue line, building new inner fenders to keep the dirt out, and moving the tank up into the cargo area.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:35 PM
Seasoned Member

today i pulled the rear axle back out and started torching off all the factory mounts that i won't be using, then i ran out of oxygen so it was off to the sawzall!!!

got both sides cut and pulled the tank. Then cut a hole in the floor to sink the tank half way into the floor. I'll be making a new floor for the tank to sit on which will be flush with the bottom of the frame rails.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:35 PM
Seasoned Member

sandblasted my "new" wheels and dry ice blasted my axles today.
Planning on getting the rear third pulled tomorow to get ready for the Miller Locker install and get started on shaving the low hanging drain plugs.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Its been pretty slow going due to funds...or lack of for that matter.

got my tires mounted on my newly painted wheels. Just wish i could have went ahead and built beadlocks, but that will just have to wait until later.

I pulled the D300 apart yesterday and removed the interlock pills so i'll have front low digs with my twin sticks.

I've got the rear diff welded up, and today i finished grinding off the old mounts on the rear axle. Pretty much ready to re assemble the axles and weld on the new link mounts/ubolt eliminators.

I've picked out what rod ends i'm going to use (ballistic fab's balistic joints on the frame end of the front 3 link, and thier bushing ends on the axle end)

Just need to order them, order the D300 clocking/adapting ring, and get this thing back together.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:37 PM
Seasoned Member

I finished cutting out the hole in the cargo area for my tank to sit in. Just need to build the front brace and mount the tank. Also modified the HD lower control arm mounts i got a while back and fit them on the toy front axle. Stupid square toyota axles...

I torched out some 1/4" plate to start on my front axle truss.
Started with cardboard template:

Then cut them out.

Cut a 2" wide piece for the top and welded it all in.

Also cut my tie rod down to length and sleeved it with some 1.5" tube. Now its 1.5" OD and 3/8" wall.
Finished making the diff guard.

Ordered a few parts!
and yes, the zerk will be mounted on the top. It was just a quick fit test.

and now i'm getting to work on my Hydro assist. Got a ram a while back from a hyster fork lift. Its 2" cyl., 7/8" rod, 8" stroke. I was planning on using the clevis ends but with the angle change that the tie rod has from turn to turn i'll have to get some heims to put on each end. Should get this buttoned up soon.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:38 PM
Seasoned Member

I spent a little more time in the garage today. Got the trans tunnel cut out and slid the D300 in place, put the front axle under the jeep and bolted up the lower arms, threw the front tires on to see how the stance would look, and started working on the upper 3rd link placement.
Took some measurements and the specs as of now are:
Approach angle: 60deg.
Arms are 31" from bolt to bolt and the lowers are at 10deg and the upper as of now is sitting at 5deg.

Still need to build the twin sticks but I put the stock shifter in place to see where it would sit. Going to be some bending involved to get them over to where I can reach them.

The string was to see how the driveshaft angles would be.

The rear offset isn't too bad.

Stance is a little wider than before. Its 79" from outside of tires.

Here you can see the axle pushed forward 2.5"
Going to have to do some more fender trimming and some bumper trimming too.

This will put the WB right at 108".

Started working on laying out the upper link. As it sits in the pics, I've got 9.5" vert. sep. at the axle, and will have 6.5" at the frame.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:39 PM
Seasoned Member

I've decided against the mechanical twin stick setup. I picked up 2 push/pull cables today and will be building a set of cable shifters and mounting them in the stock TC shifter location.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:40 PM
Seasoned Member

And here is where it gets current...

Today I started making the mounts for the cable shifters. I also took the stock TC shifter out and gutted the handle/spring from the housing and cut the bottom of the "bucket" out so I could build the twin stick setup in the factory location.

I'll get some pics once the shifters are done.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

Very out of the box thinking going with Toy axles.

What was your deciding factor in going with them?
Old 01-16-2010, 07:41 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by nick_n_ii
What was your deciding factor in going with them?

Well, they seem to be very well built. I know personally many guys running these axles under thier FJ80's and running 39+ size tires. If they can hold up to that abuse then they will last a long time under my jeep with 36's.

Plus, I got them for a really good deal.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: 6 inline 4l

wow that front axle is what i called. bomb-proof
keep working man
good luck
Old 01-16-2010, 04:36 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L I6

Pretty cool! Nice welds BTW.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:38 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L I6

Almost forgot to ask...what kind of long arms were on it before?? I've never seen those.

Edit: never mind. Figured it out after looking it over again.

Last edited by rivercrazy; 01-16-2010 at 04:42 PM. Reason: I'm a jackass
Old 01-16-2010, 04:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by rivercrazy
Almost forgot to ask...what kind of long arms were on it before?? I've never seen those.

Edit: never mind. Figured it out after looking it over again.
I was running rusty's short arms with the D30. These arms i'm using for the 3 link are from teraflex. They were part of a LCG long arm kit for a TJ. I'm using two of the steel ones for the lowers and an aluminum arm for the upper.

Quick Reply: 99XJ axle swap