Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 kinda red 4.0

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 11:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default 99 kinda red 4.0

Bought this Xj back in October and kept telling myself that I was gonna lift it. I told everyone I knew I was going to lift it and get some 31's a rebuilt engine and whatever else I needed to do. This is what it looked like when I brought it home, bald tires and everything
Attached Images  
Old 04-18-2010, 11:15 AM
CF Veteran

Then in february I finally got my tax return and talked the wife into letting me dive into this little hobby (boy wa that a mistake). I ordered a RC 3" lift kit. With it I got new shocks, coil springs and full leaf packs. I ordered a steering stabilizer from them along with some new X flex adjustable control arms. i also ordered a set of JKS quick discos (the originals cause Im too cheap to get quickers). So I posted on CF if anyone knew a good mechanic in the area to install my new stuff. I got a lot of replys saying to do it myself and then one guy said I could come on over and he would help me with the install. So at the beginning of March I installed a 3" lift and some 31" tires. That got me to here.
Attached Images  
Old 04-18-2010, 11:21 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

very nice. dont stop now. lol
Old 04-18-2010, 11:26 AM
CF Veteran

Then holy cow, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. It seemed like the ride went totally out the window. The "upgraded" RC shocks were junk. I had no idea that you had to do something to your tracbar when you lifted. The discos were constntly squeaking, which I think was caused by there not being enough lift. Everytime I turned the vehicle I thought something was going to explode. So less than a month later I posted on here that I had no idea what to do and that I wanted to buy softer springs. Everyone kept asking why and I told them it was because my ride was so horrible. The first question was what brand shocks and when I told them they informed me that was the problem. Then I brought up the squeaking in the front end. Someone brought up discos. I allready knew I needed a new tracbar. So I ordered a new rustys tracbar. Then I found someone to buy my new coils and front shocks off me and bought a set of superlift coils and some bilstein shocks. Then I ordered a set of RE shackles for the rear. So last weekend I went to the autohobby shop on post and installed all my new toys

Then I installed a tcase drop kit till I can save up for a sye. Only problem was that rustys sent me one with the holes to close to each other and I couldnt force it in there. So after bickering with them for about 30mins on the phone I emerged victorious and now Im waiting on the new one to arrive. Kinda glad too cause I wish I had painted the other one black and once the new one gets here Ill do just that.
Attached Images    
Old 04-18-2010, 11:36 AM
CF Veteran

Now I have pretty much fixed the steering issues, although I need an alignment job pretty bad (gonna do that on thursday). Also I ordered a set of brake line extensions from rustys (crown steel braded). Im waiting for my new tcase drop and brake lines and then I will post more pics. When I was installing the last suspension upgrades I broke off the grease fitting in my control arms so i will try to figure out a way to fix that. im uch more pleased with the performance at 4" than at 3" though. might be in need of something else in the steering department though. Anyone think i need anything else or maybe a pitman arm? I thought i had a better pic of the angles but I will take more pics today and see if that is any better
Attached Images   
Old 04-18-2010, 11:54 AM
CF Veteran

i used a drop pitman arm and it took care of my DW (after an alignment of course). made all my angles back stock also and im at 4.5 inches.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:18 PM
CF Veteran

I went out and washed it today and couldnt help but post the pic, cause the first time it looked really good. Also I took a new pic of my front end angles. What does everyone think? pitman arm time?
Attached Images   
Old 04-19-2010, 07:04 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 lt. 242 cu.in.

Take a pic of the steering setup a little further away, so we can see where exactly the tie-rod, track bar, and drag link start and end.

Great lookin' jeep man, it's beautiful.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:04 AM
CF Veteran

i love that red.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:11 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 1-6 4.0

just from that pic i can tell that you will need one.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:16 AM
CF Veteran

^^ was thinking that also. i got one and wow. took care of my shaking
Old 04-19-2010, 09:43 PM
CF Veteran

really? i tried to take the pic the best i could but the valaince was blocking the view. i know i need an allignment too and i was gonn get it tommorow, but now i dont know if i should get the pitman arm first. should i get it first? would it ruin the money i willspend on the alignment. i got the warranty on my tires but the only thing that voids it is messed up alignment sooo?

yeah i had no idea my paint looked as good as it does till i washed it yesterday and put that wet shine stuff on the tires. it does look pretty good if i say so myself.

when i started it up today it had a pretty obnoxious knock and im hoping i have a flexplate issue and not an engine one. ive only got 147000 on it and it better not be the engine. the 4.0 is supposed to last forever... better be a flexplte
Old 04-19-2010, 09:47 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

nice rig
Old 04-28-2010, 10:39 PM
CF Veteran

Went out today and installed some extended stainless steel brake lines. My stopping power improved drastically. Unfortuanetly my house got robbed on thursday and i cant take pics. Once I get a new one I will post new pics of them. Lots of sag and now im sure that I finally can test my flex.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:22 PM

Keep the pics coming. Sorry about the people getting away with your stuff. Atleast you guys were safe. After all the gets sorted out. Get this thread back up and going.

Quick Reply: 99 kinda red 4.0