Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 "Project XJ"

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 98 "Project XJ"

Hey all (Warning-a little lengthy but informative),

Getting ready to start a new build/project and could use some advice and hopefully help along the way. I kinda did a little cut and paste from my introduction thread to forum just to give an idea as to whats ahead.

I found the XJ in a back yard in Morrow, Ga. and was able to pick it up for 500 bucks. The previous owner that I bought it from said that it has been sitting for about 6 years, but it only had 48k mi on it. I checked out the VIN and they were right. The last time the XJ was registered in the state was back in 2005. But, the people I bought it from are not really the brightest and of course lost the Key and the Title. Luckily, I was able to find the original owner and I am in the process of getting the title. Once I get the title I will go get the key cut for it so I dont have to replace the ignition or door locks.

As you guys can imagine the Jeep had about an inch of crud on it. The wife and I washed it up some and I have been able to take a good look at what it needs cosmetically. As of now, it will need a passenger fender, front clip, bumper, passenger door and rear driver door. The interior is in pretty good shape and only seems to need a new headliner and a new carpet (which I will eventually rip out and Rhino Line).

Now for the update:

Since purchased I was able to get a key made without the title. When I put the key in and turned it, I got nothing on the dash. I was mostly looking to get the mileage out of it since I bought this car without starting or having mileage. I got to looking around for the culprit and found that it appeared to be the ignition housing and some black plastic part that connects to it. I figured out the black plastic "box" is what sends the power to the rest of the car. I pulled out the box since i didnt have another one and got power to the dash. Well, the car doesnt have 48k miles like the seller told me; instead it has 165k on the dash(Liar). Bummer, but oh well.

As far as the title is concerned I was able to get in touch with the "previous" registered owner. The previous owner was sort of an ***** about helping me out, but I was able to convince her and I finally got my title to the Project XJ. The previous owner was also helpful and gave me a bunch of info that the ***** of the guy that sold me didnt tell me. The guy I bought it from told me that it needed a new fuel pump. The actual owner told me that she knew exactly what was wrong with the car. She said the xj needed a new computer and that should be all.

Now that I finally have power going to the car I tried starting it. When I turned the ignition I didnt hear the fuel pump kick in, so I figured it may actually also need a fuel pump. But then I got to looking under the hood and I found that the whole PCM is gone. Something else to add to the list of goodies needed.

Im gonna go out to the JY tomorrow and see what kind of goodies I can come back with from the list. I will keep you guys posted and Im taking photos of the project tomorrow, so I will post them in the evening.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:25 PM

One more thing folks,

What do you all recommend in reference to the fact the car has been sitting for 5 years and has not been started? Should I take any special precautions or change any other parts prior to trying to crank it up. Opinions?
Old 04-19-2012, 12:29 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: I6

First Good Luck and enjoy the project and rewards as things come together.

I would do the following:

Change Oil
Plugs
Cap/Rotor
Radiator Fluid

All that before I start it...

Once it is running I would do the tranny and filter and freshen up the diff oil.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:06 AM

I thought about the first few replacement ie oil etc. However, once its running Im kind of afraid of replacing the transmission fluid. You know that old myth about the trans fluid and transmissions going bad after the fluid is replaced. Im gonna see how he shifts and so forth before going that route.

Thank you for the idea on the diff oil. I did not think of that one. I may also change the fuel filter and maybe drop the gas tank to make sure there is no old trash from the gas that may have been in there.

I know I have some work ahead of me. I guess thats what I get for being cheap and buying a 500 cash car instead of one already running. Fun, Fun...