Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 xj DD

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 97 xj DD

so i haven't had a jeep in a couple years but i stumbled across a deal i couldn't pass. 97 xj 150,000 miles absolutely filthy inside and the guy i bought it from had an ankle bracelet on... pretty shady but i got it all cleaned up and turned out to be real nice.
First mod i did was a remote start off sam's clubs site for 50 bucks and it works great especially up here in Duluth, MN
Here's a couple stock pics

3 inch zone lift

31" BFG tako's

Got sick of looking at the flairs so i picked up some krylon fusion... love it!

Haven a little fun in the mud

Got some leather seats out of the junkyard. All windows were rolled up on the jeep i got them out of so they were not all dried up they have power but no heat only 100 bucks!

Had to do a little mod to get the seats bolted down and for the seatbelts

While at the junkyard i found an overhead console out of a 99 limited got that for 25 bucks and all wired up it tells me mpg, temp, distance till empty and a few other things

The color doesn't match perfect but i don't care

On my last jeep i had a visor and finally found this one on the forum... paid way to much for it (150) but i like it

Another junkyard find was a stock rear tire carrier off a 91 xj upcountry. I had to do quite a bit of cutting and weilding to get this to work but it free's up a bunch of space in the back of the jeep. It's nice that it goes on the stock bumper

I got some cheap projector headlights on ebay 25 for the housing and bulbs... way better than stock

But yeah let me know what you guys think

Last edited by genes005; 12-11-2010 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 ho

i like it,it looks really good
Old 12-11-2010, 11:16 AM

Year: 97
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

those limited XJ or zj?
Old 12-11-2010, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by clockwise
those limited XJ or zj?
91 limited xj
Old 12-11-2010, 02:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997 2 door
Engine: 4.0

Very nice and tasteful upgrades. Any link where I can find those projectors?

How much wiring was needed for the overhead console? And how hard?
Old 12-11-2010, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by kellan_musseau
Very nice and tasteful upgrades. Any link where I can find those projectors?

How much wiring was needed for the overhead console? And how hard?

Headlights---
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Proje...item4aa6def6ef
6.99 +13.99 (shipping)
They plug right in (you have the option to wire in a blue running light, didn't do this yet it was like 4 degrees when i put them in)

Overhead console--
As long as you grab the wiring from the donor you are good to go. The wire goes from the console to the interior fuse panel. If you get one out of the same year it plugs right in. If it is a different year (mine was) you just have to splice it in but all the wires are color coded so it is a breeze. I had like 5 wires left over which i think it is for the keyless entry (which i don't have)

oh and you also need to grab the temp sensor that is located inside the front bumper in the center you already have the wiring for this in your jeep so you just need to plug it in.

i would definitely do this again wasn't hard at all and how i have more storage up there too.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by xjmuddigger
i like it,it looks really good

Thanks!
Old 12-12-2010, 08:50 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 HO

Very clean well done Jeep. I love the black leather seats.. Super Nice..
Old 12-12-2010, 01:16 PM

Year: 1999

hows those headlights working for you? i got the same ones in black but mine suck. cant see much with them.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:28 PM

Great progress so far, I'm gonna have to do that overhead console I didn't know it was so simple and my god am I jealous of the spare tire carrier I wish I could find one at a JY near me.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997 2 door

Thanks for the reply!

Headlights look like a great deal..and if they are not too bright it would be easy to throw some hid's in the buckets. Thanks again.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:07 AM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by genes005
so i haven't had a jeep in a couple years but i stumbled across a deal i couldn't pass. 97 xj 150,000 miles absolutely filthy inside and the guy i bought it from had an ankle bracelet on... pretty shady but i got it all cleaned up and turned out to be real nice.
First mod i did was a remote start off sam's clubs site for 50 bucks and it works great especially up here in Duluth, MN
Here's a couple stock pics

3 inch zone lift

31" BFG tako's

Got sick of looking at the flairs so i picked up some krylon fusion... love it!

Haven a little fun in the mud

Got some leather seats out of the junkyard. All windows were rolled up on the jeep i got them out of so they were not all dried up they have power but no heat only 100 bucks!

Had to do a little mod to get the seats bolted down and for the seatbelts

While at the junkyard i found an overhead console out of a 99 limited got that for 25 bucks and all wired up it tells me mpg, temp, distance till empty and a few other things

The color doesn't match perfect but i don't care

On my last jeep i had a visor and finally found this one on the forum... paid way to much for it (150) but i like it

Another junkyard find was a stock rear tire carrier off a 91 xj upcountry. I had to do quite a bit of cutting and weilding to get this to work but it free's up a bunch of space in the back of the jeep. It's nice that it goes on the stock bumper

I got some cheap projector headlights on ebay 25 for the housing and bulbs... way better than stock

But yeah let me know what you guys think
looks great, hey in your opinion, do you think that stock tire carrier could handle a 33?
Old 12-13-2010, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by 99CheapJeep
hows those headlights working for you? i got the same ones in black but mine suck. cant see much with them.
yeah i was told not get the black ones. Mine are not the brightest(better than stock) but i mainly bought them to do the hid conversion someday. but they work for now.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Loizzo
Great progress so far, I'm gonna have to do that overhead console I didn't know it was so simple and my god am I jealous of the spare tire carrier I wish I could find one at a JY near me.
yeah the overhead console gets a little depressing if you keep it on the fuel economy setting the 11mpg doesn't make you feel to great haha. but yeah its not bad wiring there is a couple of write ups on here.

yeah i was pretty pumped when i found the carrier it was pretty beat up when i got it and i had to make some makeshift bushings out of pvc but it sure is nice.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Therightstuff
looks great, hey in your opinion, do you think that stock tire carrier could handle a 33?
with some beefing up it would. i would support where the tire bolts up. Also something in the bumper when i swing out my tire it puts some torque on the bumper. it wouldn't take to much though.