Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'89 XJ 2D Revive Project

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5l
Default '89 XJ 2D Revive Project

Hi all,

Lately, I bought a Cherokee XJ '89 Chief, my very first Jeep. She is noisy, rattles and clatters, her suspension is old as her (I think) and her axles seen better days. But as said It was love at first sight. So I decided to buy, and start to revive her as it was in the good old days, maybe a little better. And there is a good opportunity here to document the process, ask and discuss.

Last edited by Pixehld; 03-31-2017 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Looks like a great project. How is it getting parts where you're at? What plans do you have for it?
Old 03-31-2017, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 2.5l

In my country it's a little tricky, particularly there are much more diesel models than gasoline. So eBay so far, and the polish guys have a lot of stuff.
Firstly I want to restore the messy parts. I found wood pins in my dashboard (seriously) instead of metal ones, a lot of cables behind it goes nowhere, my rear axle has a buzzy sound, the left leaf spring is almost inverse, and so on... Of course, a 3inch lift won't hurt as well For the beginning, nothing serious off road stuff, tough I'm new in this business but go for some basic wandering for fun in the fields of course.