Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2" or 3"

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 04:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 2" or 3"

So after years of thinking about it I'm finally making some improvements on the old XJ. Just got some rims via CL and now 30x9.5-15. While it is starting to look nice I'd like to give it a little more trail capability with out loosing the on-road driveability.

Was thinking a 2" lift or possibly a 3", but don't want to spend more $$$ for tires after putting these on. I have access to 3" RC kit with hydros, but heard it rides well rough. Any suspension upgrade recommendations for someone not looking to go big?
Old 09-27-2010, 04:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

I've got a 3" suspension in my 87 XJ and I love it. Little bouncy when its just me in the truck, but not bad. I've had 3 people in it, and the thing rode like a dream.

My 3" came from BDS, it was built into the leafs in the back, and has extended coils up front.

For the difference between 2" and 3", I'd say just go 3". The cost will be really similar, and nything bigger than 3" and you run the risk of needing to mess with other things, such as new shocks, different brake line setups, tcase drops, etc.

Basically the 3" is a good balance, and won't get you in too much trouble with money and labor.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6

I say go 3. I was in the same position as you were. I went with 3 and love it. Go with 3! I don't think the 3 is too high. I think its just right. I didnt want to go too high either. 3 is good. More flex always helps offroad too