Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 Jeep Cherokee 2-door Manual

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default 1997 Jeep Cherokee 2-door Manual

Totally cost of current build:$7600
Miles: 126,XXX

Hello,
I just wanted to show everyone what direction I decided to go with my cherokee. I picked it up for $1500 and it was really beat up. The biggest thing I liked about this cherokee of how hard it is to find. A 2-door that is manual is hard to find. Luckily, the engine(old reliable 4.0 inline six) was low miles(for that year) and there was no rust on it at all. The clutch was still in great condition too. The paint was destroyed and the interior was so bad. It didn't run but luckily it was easy to fix. Over the past three months I put in countless hours working on it and I'm really proud of how it looks. One of my good friends, who has a cj and two xjs, helped me out a lot with this build so far. When I first bought it, I wasn't sure how crazy I wanted to get. I wanted to be able to take it down green trails no problem. Wasn't really feeling like rock crawling with the vehicle because I didn't want to do too much damage to the car. I'm located in northern Virginia and there isn't too many good spots to offroad which is kind of a drag. I plan on taking it to West Virginia a good amount. I will list all the modifications I have done so far.

Mods as of 3/5/2018:
New Paint OEM color(I decided to go with Maaco, didn't want that nice of paint because I was going to be mudding).
Rubicon Express Front Track Bar
Transfer Case Drop kit Black Jeep 85-01 Cherokee XJ(This got rid of the vibrations from the lift kit).
84 - 01 Jeep Cherokee Exhaust w/ Max Flow Performance Muffler(For an inline six, it sounds really good!).
New Catalytic converter
XJ 4WD 3" Lift Kit Zone Offroad
Pro Comp Suspension Sway Bar Link Kit
Roof Rack(With spare 31 ontop)
31s all around
Steel Rims
Replaced back window Wiper
New Radiator
Replaced all of the plastic exterior trim
New Radio Head Unit with bluetooth
I replaced the headliner and seats. I'm really happy with how it turned out!
New ECU
New badges
Upgraded the gear ratios to 365s. The stock 305s that came in this car are terrible and I would highly recommend anyone to replace them with a lower gear ratio!
New lights installed
Put in a new dash that shows my rpm, oil pressure, etc. I felt that this was very important.

7/26/18:
JCR Roof Rack(Retails for 1,000)
LED Bar
JCR Roof Rack Spare Tire Kit
CB Antenna (Still need to buy the wiring and radio itself).
JCR windshield banner
Installed a hitch

Future Mods I plan on doing:
I still need to install some skid plates on the bottom of it because the gas tank is so exposed! I picked some up and painted them. Have one for the front to protect the steering rack etc.
I'm going to get a CB for sure but I'm having trouble finding an antenna mount that is going to work well. I know they have some that attach to the rear light but apparently it messes up the seal and leaks water into the headlight.
There is a dent right under the passenger side door. Need to fix this.
I need some tow points on the Jeep before I start off roading.

If anyone has any suggestions I would be more than happy to hear them! I still have a long way before this thing is perfect. I'm happy with how much money I have put into it so far. Can't wait for what's next!

Last edited by jackkemp1998; 09-18-2018 at 09:34 PM.