Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 Jeep Cherokee SE (Black)

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Smile 1996 Jeep Cherokee SE (Black)

Time to start a build thread!

I purchased a 1996 Jeep Cherokee SE from someone in Kennewick, Washington, back in march of 2014. It cost me $3300, but it was in great condition and only had 142,000 miles on it. Everything was in great shape except that the black paint was pretty faded.

I had to wait until I ran into some more money before I could make any modifications, but the time has finally come!

I purchased a set of Goodyear 265/75R16 all-terrain tires off of an FJ Cruiser for $200, a set of 5 wrangler wheels for $400, and a set of Notch Customs fender flares for $500.

I finally had it all installed professionally last week, and took it wheeling for the first time the very next day. I love how it looks! The Notch Customs fender flares allow for pretty big tires with little-to-no lift.

What do you guys think I should do next?

Here are the pics:

This is what it looked like when I got it. It was basically a station wagon. I think the wheels were even undersized.

Here it is after the modifications.

The tires do rub when the steering wheel is turned as far as it can go.

Next I hope to do some small modifications like fixing a cracked dashboard panel and a broken speaker. Then I will think about bumpers and lights.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 Liter I6 PowerTech

Nice build so far. You'll be able to fit some huge tires under those fender flares if you lift it.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Replacing Parts

It's been a while since I've posted. Here's what's new:
  • New rear leaf springs
  • New rear shocks
  • New alternator

Before installing the new rear leaf springs, the XJ's butt sagged quite a bit.

The tiny garage I was renting from my apartment complex barely gave me enough room to work.

It took me a couple of hours to get everything off. It was pretty straightforward thanks to a couple of videos.

The new leaf springs aren't anything special, just stock replacements from Amazon.

There was only about 2 feet on each side of the Jeep to work with.

This was my first time replacing leaf springs, and was my most difficult repair job to date.

The sag is gone!

Not long after, I took the Jeep into the hills next to Walla Walla, Washington.

There was plenty of shallow mud and some snow; nothing too difficult.

I replaced my shocks a month or so later. I am also experiencing a clicking noise from the rear brakes, but I've narrowed it down to one of the drums.

I just got the cheap ones for now. These are meant for a stock suspension, which my Jeep still has.

This is a sad picture. My alternator died in Moses Lake, Washington, and I didn't bring any tools. It was late Saturday afternoon, and I needed to drive another 3 hours to get home to Redmond, Washington. I ended up swapping the alternator in the dark behind a gas station in George, Washington. It was the most advanced repair I've ever done, and it was all done with a cheap LED flashlight in my mouth and cheap gas station tool sets.

I ordered some wheel spacers to try to alleviate the rubbing I am experiencing when turning sharply. I'll post pics when installed.