Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1995 XJ build... Newbie here!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 09:43 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 1995 XJ build... Newbie here!

I've been driving a 2010 Nissan Versa for the last month... You have to floor it to get up a hill. I never want to deal with that again, so I've decided that when I get my jeep tagged and insured, a few mods will be in order. I'm not looking to build a stump-puller, just to get a nicer throttle response and a little extra torque.

I should add that my Jeep's a '95 Cherokee 2WD 4DR with an automatic. I know, probably the least desirable model for that year, but it was free, it only has 107K miles on it, and I like it.

Mods I'm looking at, with links to the parts:
-Larger (200cc per minute, probably) fuel injectors from a Dodge Neon.
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...193&cmd=VISPEC
-A bored out (63mm) throttle body.
http://strokedjeep.com/tbody.html
-A header.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATP-101212
-2.5" exhaust pipes.
From a muffler shop -- I can't find a 2.125 inlet to 2.5 outlet piece.
-A glasspack muffler, or some other free-flowing muffler.
http://summitracing.com/parts/imm-87522
-New single-prong iridium spark plugs (same reach and thread size as stock).
http://summitracing.com/parts/ngk-2669
-10mm spark plug wires.
http://summitracing.com/parts/dui-c9087rd
-A cold-air intake kit and better filter.
http://summitracing.com/parts/spe-9948

Should run me a fair amount, but I'll do it gradually... I think the fuel injectors will be the first upgrade, then the throttle body and cold-air intake/air filter kit... Then the exhaust system, then the ignition system.
When I'm done, it should be much more responsive as far as the throttle goes, right? I should also see (slightly) better fuel mileage too, shouldn't I?
After these mods will come larger but lighter wheels and tires, then disk brakes on all 4 wheels, a lift kit, and different gears. But right now those things aren't as important to me, so I'll save them for later.

Right now I'm still waiting to get it tagged and insured, so I figured this is the time to make sure I'm headed in the right direction.
The part number on those fuel injectors is the one for a Neon, but they come in a set of 6... Seems odd, but right now I'm considering it a blessing. Should I be wary of cleaned up Cherokee injectors being passed off as Neon ones?
Also, would it hurt to go down to 8mm plug wires? It's a $50 difference.

Again, I'm just planning things right now, so any help would be appreciated... Thanks!

Last edited by 2WDUnderachiever; 07-04-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:27 AM
Seasoned Member

Figured I'd upload a picture... She's bone stock though, nothing to see. 1995 XJ build... Newbie here!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1372951669.087008.jpg
Old 07-04-2013, 10:33 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 straight six

Hey man, that's a clean jeep you got there, and for free? I don't think anyone on here would be able to pass on the 2wd or otherwise... But other than the mods you're thinking, is there anything else you wanna do to it, lift kit, tires, upgraded front end... Just saying... Jeeps can do a lot more with two wheels than most trucks can do with four, so it might become a weekend wheeler type deal??? That's what mine is and I love it. Drive it every day on road, then hit the trails on sat. And sun. It's the best way to treat your jeep I think ... Good luck anywho, I jut thought if put my two cents in *cheers*
Old 07-04-2013, 11:00 AM
Seasoned Member

I once saw an XJ in a parking lot that looked like it had 6 inches of lift and a set of 33s... It looked really nice.

I suppose I'd like something like that as the end product, but right now I'm more worried about driveability, so I'm starting with the mods I mentioned.

Also, I learned that even if my county's emissions free, I still need a catalytic converter since my car's post-'82. Guess I need to add a high-flow cat to my list of parts.

Last edited by 2WDUnderachiever; 07-04-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:32 AM
Seasoned Member

So, I'm at a crossroads...
Do I do exhaust upgrades first, or intake mods (air and fuel)? I have $540 to spend, total. After changing the oil, the spark plugs, and fixing the roof leak (fixed it last year but it's been pouring again so it came back), I'll be able to afford one or the other, but not both.

I can get a header (welded stainless), a Cherry Bomb Vortex muffler, and high-flow spun cat, or I can get a newer intake manifold, Dodge Neon fuel injectors, a bored out throttle body, and a cold-air intake kit.

I'm conflicted. I want the better throttle response of the intake package, but I want the sound and power of the exhaust package. But hmm... I don't know if I'm going to put the exhaust parts on with the stock pipe, or get a larger pipe... I guess if I do the intake stuff first, I can worry about that later. But then I need to take the intake manifold off again once I pit the header on, don't I? Ughh. :/
I think I'm going to take some money out of my saving's account, get the intake parts plus the header, put the header on and all the intake parts on, and then worry about the rest of the exhaust stuff later. Sounds like a plan, right? Someone please say yes, lol... I've thought this **** to death. This **** has thought me to death, too! =P

My grandpa's buying my cousin a truck. Everything he's looking at is lifted and 4x4... He doesn't have to worry about modding. Lucky bastard. But it should be fun, once I drop the ridiculous amount of cash and actually get started. Also, might post the trucks my cousin's looking at, if anyone's bored enough to want to read the Craigslist ads (or would want to give opinions).

Thanks in advance, you all!
Old 07-07-2013, 03:58 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 straight six

That's quite the dilemma you have here. I say, as long as your stock exhaust is solid upgrade your intake system, get that out of the way first so all you gotta do is bolt on easy stuff. That's just how I would do it, especially considering your budget, just my .02
Old 07-07-2013, 10:48 PM
Seasoned Member

I think I'm actually going to dip into my saving's account and get the header, "D" shaped intake manifold, Neon fuel injectors, ported TB, and cold-air intake kit at one time... It seems like replacing it all at once is the most efficient use of wrenching time. I also have a sheet of thin, rolled aluminum I'm going to try to build a box/partition for the cold-air intake with, and perhaps a scoop that goes downward to bring more air in, I'm not sure though, I have to see it, and the Jeep's at my uncle's house. Never done anything like any of this before... So wish me luck! Going to order parts as soon as I get her tagged. After the below question, I shouldn't have more questions until I have the parts and start working on her.

But can anyone tell me whether a header with a 2.125" collector diameter will hook up to the stock exhaust? I'd like to continue to use the stock exhaust system until I have the time and money to go up a size or two. But back to topic, I can't find the size if the stock manifold's collector anywhere... And I can't measure mine until I've taken half of my Jeep apart -- I just want to know if this will fit until I can afford to do further mods.

Thanks in advance!
Also, I tried to get my cousin in an Jeep, but the super-clean Wrangler got shot down by my grandfather (as did the ****ty Scottsdale), and there weren't any XJs he liked for the price... So he might be getting this. I know it's not a Jeep, but it's still pretty nice, and he's chill enough to let me drive. (; 1995 XJ build... Newbie here!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1373255019.613571.jpg

Last edited by 2WDUnderachiever; 07-07-2013 at 10:53 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:50 AM
Seasoned Member

Today I went to get the Leaky Hornet (car leaks and had a hornet's nest in it, thus the apt name) a new battery, and my uncle told me it had been leaking...

We'd previously sealed all the screws on the cargo rack, and figured that fixed it. Nope. So today we tore the headliner and fiberglass board out to watch for leaks, then realized the water was leaking directly into the floorboard.

Driver's (front), passenger's (front), and rear passenger's floorboards were SOAKED after a bit of checking with the hose.
My uncle thinks it's the grommet that holds the flexible conduit that runs from the door into the body that's letting water into the body. But I'm not so sure... Water would get into the doors too, but they have no signs of outward rust (haven't taken the panels/inserts off yet). We sprayed fix-a-leak or whatever on it just in case, though.

I'm thinking it's the windshield leaking from years of Georgia sun on the epoxy/glue...
But could it be water draining into the cowl and coming out the heater at the bottom? Or would that only get the (front) passenger floorboard?

How is the rear floorboard getting wet? o.O
Also, the passenger side of the tranny tunnel near where the console touches the seat is soaked too.

What kind of leak(s) soak these random areas?
We're lost... If what we did today doesn't work, we'll check the windshield... If that doesn't work, the carpet's coming out.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:45 AM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0L straight six

love the higher performance, thinking of doing all that soon, subd! will stick around and if I can put in my .02 I will! good luck
Old 07-31-2013, 09:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Alright... Got the tag yesterday, and this weekend I'm going up to take a final crack at the leak, get it detailed, change the wiper blades, then drive it home.

After that, I'm doing the following.

Volvo 746 injectors.
Bored 63mm throttle body.
New spark plugs.
Oil change.
A header.

I'm going to do this all at once, as having it apart should make it easier.
I'm ready to start ordering parts (going to get everything I can from Advanced tomorrow, and start ordering the rest then too), but I have one question.

Will this header hook up to my stock exhaust pipe? It'd be hard to run exhaust pipes, our welder is far away and the the helmets and stuff are god-knows-where... So I'd like to stick with stock exhaust pipes, for now.
Link here: http://m.summitracing.com/parts/atp-101212/overview
It says the collector diameter is 2.125".
Old 07-31-2013, 09:16 PM

Wow, that is a super clean and good looking XJ for getting it for free! How did you manage to talk someone out of that beauty? Definitely interested in how this build ends up.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:37 PM
Seasoned Member

^My uncle wanted it out of his driveway (had sat for 5 years), and I needed a car...;D
It's not so clean now, but it will be after getting detailed.

I need to know about this header before I order it, though. Looks nicer than the APN, but I don't know if it'll bolt up.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

Great start cant wait to see the changes. I got a 2wd too. I love the thing despite what some say.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:35 PM
Seasoned Member

So yesterday I went and bought wiper blades and the taillight bulb I need, to get it home.
Tomorrow I'll be taking a (hopefully) final shot at my leak, getting it detailed, throwing my tag and wipers on, then driving it from Atlanta to LaGrange (1.5 hours).

I also bought 6 quarts of Quaker State Defy 10W-30 (on sale, I figured the extra zinc would help too) and a Mopar filter. I plan to change the oil when I get home.
Today I'll also be ordering a header, full Accel kit, a Putco headlight harness, bored TB, and Volvo 746 injectors. Finally got it all narrowed down!

But the real story is that I bought a 900 watt amp and a 12" 500 watt Pioneer sub (complete with crudely built wooden box) for a rather low sum -- $25 for the pair!
I know they're not great by modern standards, but for $25 it'll be a vast improvement over stock.
Pictures attached.

Attached Images   

Last edited by 2WDUnderachiever; 08-03-2013 at 12:43 AM.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:49 AM
Seasoned Member

^ACTUALLY got them attached, sorry about messing it up before.

Alas, anything but doing the wiper blades and tag must wait... My uncle's Mustang's serpentine belt snapped, so he'll be driving my XJ for a few days.
Things never go my way. =P
Ohh well, lol.

Another question (sorry about all the damn questions... I'm new to most everything on this forum), if the subwoofer's box gas an opening for the back of the speaker, and is only 4 inches deep, I should just build a new box, correct?
I will keep the front, though... A decent circle's already been cut.

Last edited by 2WDUnderachiever; 08-04-2013 at 02:48 AM.

Quick Reply: 1995 XJ build... Newbie here!