Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1987 Jeep Wagoneer AKA "THE BEAST"

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 02:22 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.7L
Default 1987 Jeep Wagoneer AKA "THE BEAST"

so i picked up my new jeep today which is replacing project WTHDIGMSIT..sooner then i thought, but was when i was hoping if that makes any sense. It in a 1987 Jeep Wagoneer(cherokee). It has about 178,000 miles on it and runs pretty good..idles real high though i don't know exactly what to do to try and correct this so any insight would be great. It has a 4" teraflex lift with the revolver shackles in the rear..oh yeah 11" of travel when lifted from the bumper before the tires come off the ground. it is running on some 31" BFG muds. I am litterally in love with this jeep..lol even though it is an ugly beast.

Things to fix...
Broken shock mount(PO broke it when his shock locked up and welds didn't hold last time, but hopefully they will this time!)
power windows in rear
convert to open cooling
CLEAN!!
get new front end components
sway bar qd's still running factory!
rotate tires
and other random things.

OH my fav part so far..IT HAS A D44 i almost crapped myself!

swapped the headunit over from the other jeep which is why these pics are so dark..had to run our own 12v constant and switched wires..it sucked.

sorry about the finger didn't notice it till now....

Will get more pics tomorrow after i clean it more spent alot of time getting all the garbage and food and airsoft pellets out of it. and installing the radio, but i will try to get pics in the day light tomorrow.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 rebuilt w/ bored TB, banks header, upgraded ignition, 3 row rad, high flow h2o pump, 180* t-stat

and paint the ugly SOB
lol j/k! nice find!
Old 06-12-2010, 09:25 AM

Year: 2000 Limited
Engine: 4.0 6 cyl
Thumbs up

Awesome find
Old 06-12-2010, 01:15 PM
Seasoned Member

I love it, driving it with the broken shock mount is interesting to say the least but it is nice to be driving a lifted vehicle again, its been about two years. I don't know what i am going to do with the paint, i know the fenders that are on it are coming off and the trimmed ones i have are going on so i am gonna flat black them to match the hood before that happens. I will probably do the header panel as well since it would be the only brown thing left. the rest of the jeep would probably come later..lol i think i may find some tin snips and cut and roll my fenders i have soon so i don't tear up my tires.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:28 PM
Seasoned Member

*update* will post pics later on tonight, but i swapped in the neon injectors from my 89 and will be changing the plugs as well. Also swapped throttle bodies cause the one on the jeep was nasty and it seemed easier then cleaning it..lol.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6 Renix

Very cool.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:27 AM
Seasoned Member

as promised pics, plus i had a few q's so i got to work today and a friend told me that my brake lights weren't working, but my running lights were..wierd i said. Well that turned out to me the switch that hooks onto the brake pedal one of the wires broke so i cut one off the other jeep..should have just put connectors on the wires, but i cut anyways. So now my brake lights work, and i pulled the blinker switch off the other jeep cause mine didn't blink turning left and blinked every 30 seconds on the right now that is good. NOW brake lights work turn signals work...running lights dont..along with the dash lights and it WAS blowing fuses in the fuse block, but it stopped yet they still dont work. Just curious if anyone else has had this problem and has a fix for it, im going to do more investigating and see what i can come up with but it pisses me off cause i fixed one problem and something that was working quit, Oh and it was all working the day i bought it..lol. go figure right. anyways here
are some day time pics and if anyone has some insight PLEASE fill me in.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Looks great, although i have always wanted a front clip with the dual head light set up and wanted to have the upper lights for the normal headlight and the lowers as bright amber fog lights.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:52 AM
Seasoned Member

yeah all my buddies keep telling me to convert it and i have everything i need to do it, but i like the dual light look..too bad my brights(bottom lights) don't work..stupid Owner before the guy i got it from wired the pro comps into the high beams now neither of them work...
Old 06-14-2010, 08:20 PM
Seasoned Member

got all my lights working ended up being a connector that wasn't seated all the way go figure right..lol now i took it on its maiden voyage since i changed the injectors..i definetly have a serious vaccum leak somwhere it idles at like 2000 rpm i know i have a leak at the manifold so thats where im starting first. i will probably try tightening the throttle body some more as well. Also noticed that my thermostat housing was bubbling..looks like the open cooling system conversion is going to come sooner then i thought.oh well just need garage space
Old 06-14-2010, 11:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Ok so i have a quick question well two actually Has anyone installed these??

they are from rusty's i have a broken shock mount and was just curious if they work well

Second question is how much is .01 going to matter in a gear ration?? My 87 has 3.54 gears and the 89 has 3.55 gears
Old 06-14-2010, 11:21 PM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

Originally Posted by n_csmith
Ok so i have a quick question well two actually Has anyone installed these??

they are from rusty's i have a broken shock mount and was just curious if they work well

Second question is how much is .01 going to matter in a gear ration?? My 87 has 3.54 gears and the 89 has 3.55 gears
The .01 is about the factory difference so there is NOTHING to worry about haha.

Also I dont see any issue with those at all
Old 06-14-2010, 11:23 PM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

also SUBSCRIBED!

great find btw!! i wanna see how this turns out!
Old 06-15-2010, 04:55 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 HO

I dig the quad headlights !! Looks like its gonna be a fun build......
Old 06-15-2010, 08:17 AM
Seasoned Member

gonna be time consuming but hopefully fun got alot a work to do ahead of me.. and alot of debating if i want to just go with the axle swap over from the 89 or if i want to buy the universal mounts and have them welded up...oh decisions

Quick Reply: 1987 Jeep Wagoneer AKA "THE BEAST"