Land Use Forum Utilize this forum to talk about our current and future land issues. Help keep the trails clean and open.

Prez candidates on land use

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 03:00 AM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix
Default Prez candidates on land use

This is about the closest thing I could find on both McCain and Obamas' standpoint on public land access. To me it really sounds like both are for public land access as long as we are responsible while we are there. For the most part this is in line with what the majority of hunters, anglers, and off-road enthusiasts believe. Copied from LA Times website:

"The presidential election is two weeks away and I’m flipping through yet another outdoors magazine that touts John McCain’s and Barack Obama’s views on such issues as gun control, fisheries and public land access.

There are no revelations in the November issue of Outdoor Life.

John McCain is still against gun control and Obama still supports the Second Amendment but favors a ban on assault weapons and cinching a gun show loophole that allows trading of weapons between private individuals in states where this practice is currently legal.

Both candidates claim to be conservationists who want to protect fisheries and preserve angler opportunities. McCain, however, appears to be more of a proponent of hunters and anglers at a time when environmentalists are increasingly pressing for wilderness preservation versus public access.

“I have long supported multiple uses for public lands that ensure they are available for this and future generations to hunt, fish and explore,” he is quoted as saying.

Obama tends to include a disclaimer whenever he discusses access. And Outdoor Life, which claims to be objective, countered McCain’s statement with this one from Obama:

“We need to make sure that we’re good stewards of the land. It means that we are maintaining access to public lands but are also making sure that we are doing it in a responsible way.”

Certainly, those who hunt, fish and use off-road vehicles are disturbed by trends toward wilderness preservation. Shutting sportsmen and other user groups out does not always seem justified, and in some cases it seems un-American.

A recent survey commissioned by the Congressional Sportsmen’s Foundation found that hunters and fishermen view loss of habitat and public access as the largest threats to their pastimes. They'd like Congress to prioritize federal lands for habitat available to all.

There are an estimated 40 million hunters of voting age in the Unites States, so their interests should not be taken lightly by the candidates.

In fact, McCain has launched a website, on which he proclaims to be an angler who “knows the difference between spinning gear and a fly rod.”

OK, but in a recent interview with Field & Stream magazine he confessed that his angling experience was restricted largely to a pond on his property in northern Arizona.

He’s not much more of a sportsman than Obama, who, once upon a time, went spearfishing while growing up in Hawaii.

It’s too bad both aren’t more in tune with the great outdoors, because it’s always better to have a boss who truly understands.

It’s also too bad this country is faced with much more pressing issues, which might diminish this debate somewhat. But Cherokee Forum is interested in what you think of the candidates and their positions. Please be civil.

Last edited by BlueXJ; 10-23-2008 at 03:02 AM. Reason: spellinz erers
Old 10-26-2008, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 5.9

im no one has responded sooner but here is my thought
i dont like the ideal obama has about banning assult weapons, and i think its assinine when he say he is for the second ammendment and the says we need to bad assult weapons. this wont help with crime, if anything it will worsin it because the criminals will us good law abiding citizens wont break the law so all we will have for defence is our hunting rifles and shotguns if that. while the ones who dont give a dam about the will get assult weapons and use will body armor and wont give two ****s about breaking in our home and attacking us.
lets not stop there, i believe were on the brink of a civil war. or what if we were invaded by a forin or domestic power how will we defend ourselves.
ill stop for now cause i got to go run an errand
Old 11-08-2008, 12:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992, 2- 1998 (All 3, 4 Doors)
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L in all

I agree, law abiding citizens aren't the ones using assault weapons, let alone any weapons in a crime. We just don't commit the crimes. The criminals on the other hand, don't really give a **** about the existing laws, so what's one more violation that they get charged with? They just don't care, and normal, everyday folks are the ones who get punished. That is almost as dumb as Daley banning BB and pellet guns in the Chicago city limits.
Old 11-08-2008, 01:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by BowtieGuy3
I agree, law abiding citizens aren't the ones using assault weapons, let alone any weapons in a crime. We just don't commit the crimes. The criminals on the other hand, don't really give a **** about the existing laws, so what's one more violation that they get charged with? They just don't care, and normal, everyday folks are the ones who get punished. That is almost as dumb as Daley banning BB and pellet guns in the Chicago city limits.
Don't want to put an eye out you know....