trails in the Upstate of South Carolina

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 07:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default trails in the Upstate of South Carolina

Hey I was curious if anyone has any info on the trails in Duncan, I have not been there in over a year, I used to ride them alot now someone told me they have been gated. Anyone know about this?
Also whats the word on the 101 BMW trails? I have never been but a few years back I had a few friends that used to wheel out there, now I lost touch with them and was wondering if there were any open trails around there still?? And if so what are they like?
Thanks all...
Old 05-06-2011, 07:36 AM

is there anyone on here that wheels in the upstate??? wow havent found one yet, a few in Anderson and the lower part of the state. Kinda surprised, I've seen alot of XJ rigs on the road that look like their no stranger to the trails around the GSP area.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:08 PM

Year: 1995

I'm brand new getting into this stuff so I'd like to know about trails up here too.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:24 PM

well I know a couple good ones still around here in Spartanburg. I used to know a few in Greenville but they got shut down years ago. Let me know when you wanna head up 85 and test that rig.
Also, does your name refer to a Mustang 5.0L?
Old 05-06-2011, 08:38 PM

Year: 1995

It goes way back to middle/high school when I loved desert eagles and the line from ****** where bullet tooth tony is talking to the dudes trying to rob him.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:46 PM

ahhh cool the .50 cal, and that movie was great.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:08 PM

Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

im over in ellenboro nc, about 30 min from spartanburg....there is housers in cliffside i believe...its not too bad the guy has about 600 acres and he charges $12 to get in for all day....im gonna head back there as soon as i get my front driveshaft rebuilt
Old 05-10-2011, 03:36 PM

well thats cool Tommy, I've never head of housers but I do know Ellenboro. What kind of trails does he have? mud? rocks?etc? and where is Cliffside? I'd like to ride up there and check it out one day. Give me a heads up next time your heading that way and I'll see if I can make it up that way. Good to hear from you. Let me know if your ever down around Spartanburg and want to get your Jeep dirty. I've been real busy lately with a new baby and all but I still gotta get out on the trails as much as possible.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:03 PM

Year: 1999
Smile Most seem to head to the Gulches..

I recently picked up a 99 XJ to "tweak" back into a decent trail rig after 14 years away (family, kids, work, stuff). I remember wheeling my CJ at Telico and Glassy Mountain, and all the other places around Spartanburg before they were bought for developments, or gated and leased to hunting clubs.

What I have found so far is that most seem to head to the Gulches ORV park in Laurens, SC. I took my old '91 Explorer down there a week or so ago, and had a good time, can't wait to head back with the XJ when its done.

It seems the private ORV parks are doing a good business, but you have to hunt for them.

-Dredwolf
Old 05-12-2011, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Vakis
well thats cool Tommy, I've never head of housers but I do know Ellenboro. What kind of trails does he have? mud? rocks?etc? and where is Cliffside? I'd like to ride up there and check it out one day. Give me a heads up next time your heading that way and I'll see if I can make it up that way. Good to hear from you. Let me know if your ever down around Spartanburg and want to get your Jeep dirty. I've been real busy lately with a new baby and all but I still gotta get out on the trails as much as possible.
i might might heading there next weekend...he was regular trails and mudholes... gotta search for them though, i only went there once so far so i didnt really get to check the whole place out so couldnt tell you what else is there....easiest way to get there(bear with me, im new to the area)from wal-mart in spartanburg on east main....take that to cowpens, bear left by the hardees and follow that road until you get to n.c. when you get to n.c., i think it turn into 221 follow 221 until you get to cliffside after that the directions get kinda fuzzy but i have it programmed into my gps....i will pm by wed. to let you know if i am definetly going
Old 05-12-2011, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Dredwolf
I recently picked up a 99 XJ to "tweak" back into a decent trail rig after 14 years away (family, kids, work, stuff). I remember wheeling my CJ at Telico and Glassy Mountain, and all the other places around Spartanburg before they were bought for developments, or gated and leased to hunting clubs.

What I have found so far is that most seem to head to the Gulches ORV park in Laurens, SC. I took my old '91 Explorer down there a week or so ago, and had a good time, can't wait to head back with the XJ when its done.

It seems the private ORV parks are doing a good business, but you have to hunt for them.

-Dredwolf
Welcome back my friend! Right now I have an infant son and my XJ is my DD, had to sell my wrangler, so I dont have the luxury of having a trail only rig, but the lil XJ can still play hard. Gluches is great, Skip and the guys down there are good people, I have not been there in a while(used to go in the TJ) and haven't taken the XJ yet, but I am sure its still just as good if not better. I'd like to get back as soon as I can.
There is also Uhwarrie National Forest in NC, has plenty of trails to keep you busy for a weekend, its a bit of a ride and you do have to pay, but its well worth it and there is alot of camping and some cabins available.
Its a shame Tellico is shut down.
And yes Spartanburg used to have tons of great trails back in the day before being developed or privatized as you said. There are still a few good local spots in Spartanburg that are free and legal and offer a good challenge.
Also I would like to check out the place Tommy is talking about, its the first time I have heard about it.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by tommyxj2000
i might might heading there next weekend...he was regular trails and mudholes... gotta search for them though, i only went there once so far so i didnt really get to check the whole place out so couldnt tell you what else is there....easiest way to get there(bear with me, im new to the area)from wal-mart in spartanburg on east main....take that to cowpens, bear left by the hardees and follow that road until you get to n.c. when you get to n.c., i think it turn into 221 follow 221 until you get to cliffside after that the directions get kinda fuzzy but i have it programmed into my gps....i will pm by wed. to let you know if i am definetly going
sounds good man just let me know, I appreciate it.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:48 PM

Year: 1999

Originally Posted by Vakis
Welcome back my friend! Right now I have an infant son and my XJ is my DD, had to sell my wrangler, so I dont have the luxury of having a trail only rig, but the lil XJ can still play hard. Gluches is great, Skip and the guys down there are good people, I have not been there in a while(used to go in the TJ) and haven't taken the XJ yet, but I am sure its still just as good if not better. I'd like to get back as soon as I can.
There is also Uhwarrie National Forest in NC, has plenty of trails to keep you busy for a weekend, its a bit of a ride and you do have to pay, but its well worth it and there is alot of camping and some cabins available.
Its a shame Tellico is shut down.
And yes Spartanburg used to have tons of great trails back in the day before being developed or privatized as you said. There are still a few good local spots in Spartanburg that are free and legal and offer a good challenge.
Also I would like to check out the place Tommy is talking about, its the first time I have heard about it.
Me too. Marion, NC is not a bad drive at all...I used to go through there running up to Banner Elk to go night skiing back in high school, the terrain possibilities are good in the area. Years ago, I think the Carolina Trailblazers had a regular ride near there, I think.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:53 PM

where are you located Dredwolf?
And you said you have a 91 explorer also, is it stock? Just wondering because I have seen a few trail ready 91-94 model explorers around spartanburg over the past year or so, 3 actually. all white and lifted with anywhere from 33-35's and all had seen proper off road use by the looks of their battle scars. Wasn't you by any chance was it?
Old 05-13-2011, 07:47 AM

my xj is my dd also so im not gonna be doing anything crazy....it will be a run to check out the trails again like last time i went....and last time i went it was more 4 wheelers and dirtbikes there...i was the only jeep there..here is the site, not to it, i guess they are working on it
http://www.lakehouseradventures.com/

Last edited by tommyxj2000; 05-13-2011 at 07:52 AM.

Quick Reply: trails in the Upstate of South Carolina