Nags Head beach openings

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2005
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 3.7
Default Nags Head beach openings

Anybody know what beaches are open down in the Outer Banks?
Old 08-27-2008, 09:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0

A guy from work just came back and said he thought they were all open because I was asking about the closures and he said that was just during tern nesting season that they had closed them. I don't know if you could call the forestry service or another branch of the gov. and maybe they could tell you.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:34 AM

Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

There is beach access all along the Cape Hatteras National Seashore, however they have reduced some of acccess at certain times of the year, and beach driving at night is now prohibited.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:12 PM

Year: 2005
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 3.7

Thanks guys I will check when I get down there I guess. I know Corrolla is open, but unsure of others.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:18 AM

Hey I live in the Outer Banks
Old 02-04-2009, 03:04 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

Me too... A Google Earth link to closure maps.
http://www.nps.gov/caha/planyourvisi...leearthmap.htm
Old 02-04-2009, 07:07 PM
8UP

Hmmm.... as soon as I get the Cherokee back up I think I'm gonna check out the OBX again. I've only been to Corolla and Oregon Inlet. When I was at Corolla some of the guys I was with got off the beach and started driving on the dunes. I didn't think it was legal to go through the dunes so I just went on down the beach and did my own thing. Hey, one of you local guys tell me a cool place to checkout next time I'm down there. Thanks!!!
Old 02-05-2009, 10:32 AM

Engine: 4.0 HO

Tearing up the beach will get you a lot of mean stares around here and you won't get any assistance when your rig gets stuck. You did the right thing.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:07 PM
8UP

Originally Posted by Bradley_XJSport
Tearing up the beach will get you a lot of mean stares around here and you won't get any assistance when your rig gets stuck. You did the right thing.
Yeah, there's always some jackass that wants to ruin it for the rest of us.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:10 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 litre HO

i hear that, even if you dont screw around some dudes can be dicks, i got stuck halfway out to the beach at hatteras island (didnt let enough air out, novice mistake) and this jackass in a massive f350 stopped, laughed and kept rollin, good thing another jeeper came by and helped a brother out
Old 09-16-2009, 03:20 PM
CF Veteran

I actually live in the Nags Head area myself however, as I am new to the 4wd scene I never payed much attention to what sections are open or closed when. I am in the process of gettin my xj to a more dependable driving condition before I hit the beach.

I have been looking for other places to go off road in the area and cant seem to really find anything other than the beach. Im looking for some trails or something. If anyone knows of any beginner stuff aside from the beach I would love to know about it.

I will try to gather some more info about beach open/close I do know that you can't drive on the beach after dark though.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by NewXJaddict
I actually live in the Nags Head area myself however, as I am new to the 4wd scene I never payed much attention to what sections are open or closed when. I am in the process of gettin my xj to a more dependable driving condition before I hit the beach.

I have been looking for other places to go off road in the area and cant seem to really find anything other than the beach. Im looking for some trails or something. If anyone knows of any beginner stuff aside from the beach I would love to know about it.

I will try to gather some more info about beach open/close I do know that you can't drive on the beach after dark though.
i know i went on the first beach access past the bridge goin onto hatteras island, things might have changed since, but i got stuck round 1am cause the sand was some kinda crazy dry, i suppose since the humidity changed. i went on it in the afternoon and i had no problems, but got stuck halfway later on since it was during drinking hours and i didnt let enough air out the tires in the later hours, no fresh ideas for off beach roading, but sand is deff a challenge, whole different animal versus mud or rocks, at least ive found. a stout challenge for most rigs, depending on where you go, plus im abit partial to beachin it up, might skew things i suppose lol
Old 09-17-2009, 03:13 AM
CF Veteran

yeah, I'm looking forward to getting my jeep out on the beach myself. First I have to get the thing more, eh... trustworthy? I guess that's the word. Still a few issues I'm working on. Have not had the time or money yet to change out all the fluids and such. Slow process living paycheck to paycheck lol.

Well hopefully Ill be out there soon.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:43 PM

theres all kinds of cheap ways to go about gettin a rig ready to go out and do some stuff, but i hear ya, payin rent ect and tryin to get the cherokee wherre it should be at the same time are a tall order
Old 10-01-2009, 08:53 PM
CF Veteran

Just an update. I was driving around yesterday and today. It looks like almost all the beach accesses that have 4wd access seem to be open. I saw a couple different trucks going out from several different beach accesses in Kill Devil Hills on my way to work.

Quick Reply: Nags Head beach openings