Mid Atlantic West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina

Help in Greensboro!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help in Greensboro!

I just got my first jeep it's a beauty but needs some work anybody in Greensboro know where to get a new headliner installed and a paint job for a decent price.. I'm a college student so I don't have much money to work with!
Old 12-17-2014, 08:18 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Hi,
Have you considered re-covering the headliner yourself? Almost all of us have had to do it due to sagging cloth.
Material can be found at a fabric shop. Ideally a material that has a thin foam backing, this will help provide a even finished surface.
It is an all day job, the plastic and metal trim around headliner will need to be removed.
I used a vinyl headliner, installed with two cans of spray-glue made for headliners. Regular fabric spray-glue will not be able to take the heat of summer.

As for a paintjob, you will have to keep asking around. One paint issue we have with Cherokees is the hood. If there is not an insulation blanket on the underside of hood, the heat from engine bakes paint repeatedly and the clear-coat peels off, then the paint.
If you would like assistance finding a write-up for DIY headliner, let me know. I search like this; 'cherokee xj headliner replacement' then look for forum hits in the results. I always use 'xj' in the title, otherwise most of the results are store sites.
Attached Thumbnails Help in Greensboro!-dsc01762.jpg   Help in Greensboro!-dsc01764.jpg  
Old 12-18-2014, 08:22 AM

Thank you for your advice! I have thought about doing the headliner myself I was just a little wary of doing it because I didn't want to mess it up but I may end up trying to do it! And yes the hood is where my paint is coming off and I will try doing that!
Old 12-19-2014, 09:18 PM

Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee

Definitely do the headliner yourself! It is really actually quite simple. I used a fleece material from walmart. It was like $2 a yard. I got 3 yards. ONE can of 3M headliner adhesive...$19. Take all the trim pieces off and carefully remove the headliner out the back end so you do not bend it. Use a brush ($5 at autozone next the 3M spray adhesive) to get all of he old adhesive off....it basically scrubs off with little effort. Spray the headliner surface and the fabric following the directions on the can. Lay the fabric down carefully so it is smooth...once its down, it wont come back up! Then, reverse the process putting it back in.
Very simple and it should NOT take all day! I think it took me maybe 4 hours and that was including a break I took to eat some freshly baked cookies and I had my 9 year old daughter help lay he fabric...only because she wanted to and not because a 2nd person is need...although it is helpful having another set of hands for that step.
Again, I did it in only a few hours and I had never done it before. There are a couple videos on YouTube that are helpful. Check them out and then DO IT!
Old 12-20-2014, 07:29 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

^ Good info, I am glad one can worked for you.
I used fiber-backed vinyl which is considerably heavier and more durable, it required spraying both the vinyl and the headliner, hence the two cans.
For a novice, I still suggest allowing the whole day, if it takes half that then great.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:22 AM

Model: Cherokee

I am here in Greensboro and work for a auto dealership. I'll be glad to help with advice and or connections if you like. I had my headliner recovered but don't the removal and replacement myself.