Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 10:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Fall Crawl report

WOW what an event. This event started for me by meeting up with Kevin and Gary at the Cicrle K at exit 220. Once we were all gassed up and ready to go we started our Journey. We ran a steady speed limit ride the whole way. Gary and Kevin were both amazed at how when I passed a semi, or one passed me how my trailer was pushed and pulled, but it is normal. We did have to make one stop, cause I went the wrong way.. and then Gary had to use the bathroom. While there we noticed Kevins tailer tire was low.. so a quick pull of the generator, and firing up Kevin Air compressor and we were good.

We stopped again at the Filling station about 12 miles from the campground. We all gassed up and made plans to roll on.

We arrived at about 5pm we ended up camping in camp one where there was electricity and water. We were in the center part, but there are sites back in the trees that I plan on using next time. Some of the 10 oz motorsports guys brought huge sprung over axle trailers up into camp 3, I could probrbaly do that as well, but no electricity or water. Next trip I am bringing my pressure washer to wash my rig off before I put it in the trailer

Thursday night John Hunt was kind enough to invite us out to Apple Bees for dinner. We ate and plans were made.

Thursday night there was debauchery, and loud bangs in the night. Good times were had.

Friday was a kind of slack morning. Helped John setup his registration area, then decision was made to do a lil trail riding.

We tarted on V-trail which is a nice rock strewn trail with water running down it. There were spots that were touchy, but overall was good. Then we went to Boulder.. over to Secret. We played a lil and good times were had. Kevin and I did some nice drop offs.

Saturday morning was Lax for kevin and I. The trailer was stupid warm, and you cant tell how dark it is outside. SO.. when we got straight Kevin went down to give John a hand at the drivers meeting. I arrived as some groups were getting ready to leave and Kevin asked if I would go along with a group of 5 rigs to Insanity and KGB.

We arrive at the trail head after passing it. Then I take the lead.. of course I lost the trail at one point but found it. We ran what I think might have been Pinacle, but unsure. Then The leader of the group decided they wanted to run KGB Well all the rigs in our group were fairly built, but there was one or two that just wasnt up for the challenge and there was one driver who had a really nice rig, but couldnt drive

KGB on a good day is a 1/2 mile hill climb with boulder and tree roots every where. Saturday it might as well have been a mud bog on a hill with boulders.
The groups "leader" was first up.. YJ on 36's well after trying several lines He ends up pulling cable half of the hill, which was a slow process.
The came up the ZJ on 1 tons and 39's. Well he kept getting denied and was throttle jocking it, throwing mud everywhere. After about 40 minutes he either pulled cable or winched his way up.. not sure I was disgusted at this point cause everyone else was running 37's or smaller.
Then Bypass Patterson came up.. his rig was a SWB MJ on 35's. After trying and getting as far as he could he winched up, burning his winch motor up, so he got tugged to the top.
Then It was Jason's ? TJ on 36's he did great till he got to the root boulder spot, then it was cable time.
Then it was Kevin's turn... By now we figured out what was needed to make it. Kevin slow crawled up to the "spot". With Matt and I spotting Kevin gave it the Ironman try. He hopped up onto the ledge once or twice, but kept sliding back down. We would back him up and tell him to give it hell.. and man did he... every try was impressive. Once Kevin took a bounce into the tree.. and he decided he was ready to pull cable... so Kevin went up.
Now it was Matt's turn. YJv-8/atlas/leaf sprung and 4 linked. He came up the hill like any built rig should. He got to the "spot" and he proceeded to let the woods know how a v-8 sounded. After a bunch of crazy bouncies and smoke rolling off the swampers he made it... it was truly impressive. SO the Gauntlet was laid out for me.

I walked back down the hill and started up it. Knowing I needed momentum I started in 4hi 2nd gear. I kept steady right foot crawling until I got to the spot. THen I nailed my rig for everything it had, Mud was flying everywhere. I got denied once or twice... then I really gave it right foot. MY rig took a wicked bounce right over the ledge I was later told I had 3' of air under my rig and 3 wheels off the ground at the point. From the spot on.. was a lil more of my showboating.. since by now it was really dug out and chewed up.. throttle and rock bouncing was the only real way to get up the rest of it.

The decision was made to head back to camp by the group. Kevin and I proceeded to pack up and we were going to ride some more, but My leg and back were snotice all the climbing up hills and dropping off ledges by now SO we decided to load up and roll.

Of course it was raining on the way home, and I ended up having to re adjust my rig a lil cause I had too much tongue weight. The decision was made that I was going to split off from Kevin on 95 cause 17 was faster and shorter for me. I pulled into my house at 10pm.. this was after stopping to fuel up and grab a bite to eat at the Sheetz in Tappahonck.

Now I am looking at the aftermath of playing in the rain for 3 days.

Once I get pics and videos I will post them
Old 10-15-2013, 04:30 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 87

First part of the video is on a trail called secret

Second part is hill climb on KGB

Old 10-15-2013, 06:44 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993

TL; DR.

We need pictures, man!
Old 10-15-2013, 10:38 AM
Seasoned Member

Had a good time out there just wish that hill climb wasnt rutted out muddy like that prob would have made it