North Atlantic Maine, New Hampshire, New York, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Washington DC

Wanna help wrench today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 07:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5
Default Wanna help wrench today?

Well I am gonna do a bit of work today on my XJ.

Move rear shock mounts, add hand throttle, do a DIY Posi-loc, and whatever else I can do today.

Anyone wanna stop by and learn a lil bit?

PM me for where.

Have my welder too,,, so if ya need something fixed,,, stop by.

Near Carlisle Pa.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

I would, but ill be working on my pig at my shop tonight fixing some things from my last trip to rausch and some more fab work. haha
Old 10-01-2012, 11:52 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 6 cyl

Wish I didn't. Have plans I woulda swung by
Old 10-01-2012, 07:03 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 2.5

WOW !!!!!

What a day. The previous owner of my XJ cut the mount points for the front sway bar off. So the first thing I had to do today was fab a set of "arms" for the links to bolt to. That took about an hour and a half to fab then weld in.
Works fine now,,

Then I had all the parts together for my DIY POSI-LOC. Took the passenger tire off AGAIN to remove the vacuum disconnect and,,, low and behold,, I have the NEW STYLE front axle, like the TJs have. NO DISCONNECT. Hrmmmm,, this kinds put a damper on my future plans for this HP30. As I really wanted to have the 2 wheel low range available as well as being able to "unlock" it when I get my Aussie in there. So when I am in 4WD and I have a tight turn I coulda just "unlocked" the front,,even with the locker ,,and made the turn with few issues. Oh well

SO,, I went to AUtO-Zone and got my sensors to complete the gauge swap I did earlier in the week. (thx xjbeans) Swapped the sensors. The oil came right out and went right in,,, the coolant sensor was a bit*h,, the female side of the connector(s) was all dry and hard to open and both the "clips" broke off. I got it on tho. Then the magical moment,,, fired it up and the oil went right to 60 pounds,,, I gave a sigh of relief.

The temp coolant was another story ,, not only having the "clips" off so it did not lock in place but I also think the part store gave me the wrong part. I got the WT430 sensor. Could someone check somehow and see if I was given the correct one? I could also use a "new" female plug if someone wants to mail me one I would gladly pay em something for it.

Then came the best part of the day I think. I really wanted to rid myself of the air conditioning stuff. So as I was pondering a way to get around the pulley needed to replace the compressor I discovered a grease and dirt covered sticker showing the ALTERNATE BELT ROUTE for not having AC!!!
I was totally ecstatic upon seeing this. I IMMEDIATELY went back to the "ZONE" and got the proper belt. I forgot to ask about the sensor.
Got back home and pulled the compressor after my neighbor properly drained the freon,, tightened up the belt and all was gold.

WOW,,, I really felt better when I looked in the engine bay and was actually able to SEE the distributor and oil filter and I also was able to access the plugs with no issues either. And it does look better.

So Wednesday is PAYDAY and I have 2 more items I WILL be getting from members here. I am getting a control arm drop kit and a set of fixed lower arms to allow me to use the 6.5" coils I bought from another member here 2 weeks ago. So all that is left for me to find is a set of 4 decent shocks to use with this cool stuff. I will wait until I have the springs all in and the bastard pack all built so I can put it on a lift and get the flex and droop numbers so I get the PROPER SHOCKS and STOPS.

This is really getting me pretty excited with it coming together like it is. I have taken WEEKS to research all the parts to match my ideas of what I want from this Jeep.