North Atlantic Maine, New Hampshire, New York, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Washington DC

tagging a car in jersey?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 05:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default tagging a car in jersey?

hey i need some help. im on a boat right now with limited connection so its extremely slow. i have the chance to pick up a 04 Dodge neon SXT for 800$ absolutely nothing wrong with it the chick doesnt need it anymore and is letting it go cheap.....

what kind of inspection do they do?

emissions?

cost of transfer of title?

cost of tags?

im from maryland and to get my 98 ZJ tagged its running me close to 500 bucks after transfer of title and tags and taxes and inspection fees its pretty pricey. idk if i want to pay that much for a neon that i plan to have JUST for gas mileage..... can anyone help me?
Old 06-05-2013, 05:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee

after doing some reading, im guessing around 100 bucks for transfer fees and tag fees..... is there any inspection process??? im not seeing anywhere it says i need to show proof of inspection or anyhting like that
Old 06-05-2013, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Default + tax

Originally Posted by 1slo_camaro
after doing some reading, im guessing around 100 bucks for transfer fees and tag fees..... is there any inspection process??? im not seeing anywhere it says i need to show proof of inspection or anyhting like that
add 7% sales tax
get/write a document stating something like, sold as is, not running, in need of major repairs. No guarantee no return to seller.
Have the seller sign and date it

NJ may not want to allow you to register with too low of a price.

Inspection is after.
Make sure no check engine light on, make sure it stays off for at least a week after resetting. Then take it to state run inspection station, some need an appointment, but there is no fee.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

i agree with dennis, for the most part. i would definitely get (AT LEAST) a receipt specifying an as is sale... vehicle needs work, etc. if you don't they will more than likely let you go thru the process then later "mail" you a bill for taxes due (fair market value vs. what you stated was paid). can speak from experience on that one and thankfully i had a "signed contract" between myself and the previous owner... supported by parts/repair receipts.

inspection, from what i understand (at the "moment") is only checking emissions... unless it is obvious and/or dangerous... body panels "dangling", missing, brakes not working. etc. lack of "full" inspections seem to be workin out for them ("GOOBERMENT") cause it gives em good reason for the cops to pull you over and write a fistful of tickets. unfortunately it's NO longer about "protecting and serving" but "creative writing/fining and collecting"!!!

if you're not living and/or "registered" in jersey and the car is goin out of state, there is NO sales tax applicable (unless buying from a dealer), NO inspection and may not be a problem with jersey coming after you for such a low purchase price... however your state may(?). anyhow, hope this may have helped. good luck... have a good one.