North Atlantic Maine, New Hampshire, New York, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Washington DC

Need a good lift for cheap and I don't know where to start

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Question Need a good lift for cheap and I don't know where to start

So I am not a mechanic, but I love my Cherokee and would not sell it for the world. She is a stock 1998 Cherokee with 175,000 original miles running strong. The suspension is going so I am going to replace it, but not with a stock lift. I'm thinking about 3in extra. So where should I look to get a good quality lift for a cheap price. Also what size tires would be best with the suggested lift. Thanks guys. I will post before and after pics when the job is done, so you can see what you have helped me create.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:12 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Well as some will say(as I will) do some searching and reading, both here, naxja, etc.. There is also a thread here specifically for this. Please please do some reading. There are many many lifts and many many combos. Only you can determine what is best and only after you have done some good searching and reading
Old 11-29-2013, 04:54 PM

Year: 2001

Lift kits come in two ways....good, or cheap. You can go for a small budget boost but it wont be nearly as nice as a long arm system for instance. Remember when you buy they best your only sorry once and thats when you part with the money. Dont go cheap on a lift because youll have nothing but issues if you cut corners to get the cheapest price
Old 11-29-2013, 07:47 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by jhouse93
Lift kits come in two ways....good, or cheap. You can go for a small budget boost but it wont be nearly as nice as a long arm system for instance. Remember when you buy they best your only sorry once and thats when you part with the money. Dont go cheap on a lift because youll have nothing but issues if you cut corners to get the cheapest price
That's great advice.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:54 PM

Why do you want to lift the Jeep? Are you planning to do any serious offroading? Are you planning to get bigger tires?

This is just my personal opinion, but if you are just going to daily drive it .... don't lift it. Its not worth it. Lifting a Jeep is like opening up a pandora's box. When you lift a Jeep you throw off all the geomoetry and you get all kinds of weird vibrations and ride quality issues that can only be fixed by more and expensive parts. Not to mention the issues that come with bigger tires.

If its just a DD, I'd recommend just buying new OE parts from some place like Quadratec (rear leafs, bushings, shocks, TREs, etc).

If you have the money, Old Man Emu (OME) makes some fantastic suspension kits that give a little bit of lift, but greatly improve ride quality.

Now, if you need lift and bigger tires because you plan to wheel the Jeep, then I HIGHLY recommend buying a complete kit from someplace like Rubicon Express. Its pricey, but you will be SOOOO much happier with the ride and performance than if you cobble something together.