Southeast Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida

East TN......HELP...Please

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default East TN......HELP...Please

I was just wondering if there is anyone in the area who might be able to help me with my brake issue. I have a 1992 Cherokee ( that I love more that any other car that I have ever owned) that has a couple of problems. So the brakes went out.....I guess it is the bendex sys. I drive this truck everyday because I have no other choice.....probably not the safest thing. So now I have brakes that barely stop my truck(it has no booster either) so Im guessing this is what it was like trying to stop a 1950 Caddy. I have read several articles about upgrading to power brakes but this type of work is way out of my league. I can not find anyone willing to touch my truck....plus I have very little money to spend....but I want to learn and am definately will to pay someone a little bit of cash to help me out. I would greatly appreciate anything......... So if you know what your doing, have any suggestions, and live in E. TN.....the help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 12-05-2010, 09:22 PM
Old Skewl CF like a Sir

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L High Output OBDII

I know I'm of no help, and there does seem to be alot of great XJers up in Jack Daniels country, I'm sure someone will chime in.

In the meantime, what exactly are the symptoms? Pedal all the way to the floor? Checked the master fluid level? Who told you ya need a new booster?

Reason I ask is brakes can be simple to repair, but can be in depth to diagnose. A little more insight might not only clue in someone with the correct skill level, but peak interest.

Also, offer beer. Works every time.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:00 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Where in east tn are you? Never seen one without a booster but I'm sure they are out there. My 91 had one as did the 93 and 97. Like stated above check fluid levels and give us some examples of what it's doing besides not stopping. Could be water in the lines and just need bled.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:15 PM

So the main issue with my brakes....basically they are as hard as a rock when you push down on the pedal.....this is with the jeep started or just sitting there. So hard that it takes two feet to stop. I stopped by a couple of shops close to my house and just had them glance at it and they said that they never seen a set up like it....but said that they thought that the abs system was shot. I would really like to learn how to do some of these repairs myself......but with a lack of experience and this being my daily driver I would like to get a little help from someone who has a clue what they are doing. Oh....by the way I live in Seymour. I am definately willing to supply beer and food to anyone willing to give me a helping hand and tell me what I need to do to get this taken care of. From what Im told most jeeps have the master cylinder and then a booster on the firewall. My jeep however lacks the booster located on the firewall. Hopefully this helps. Once again thanks for the replies.

Shawn
Old 12-05-2010, 11:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 inline 6 (o yea!)

PICS?
Old 12-06-2010, 07:03 AM
Old Skewl CF like a Sir

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L High Output OBDII

+1.

It does sound like your missing a booster, no vacuum pressure. This I want to see.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:57 PM

So here is what I have........This picture isn't from my jeep, but I;ve looked at this several times and I am positive this is the set up that I have.

East TN......HELP...Please-pos.jpg
Old 12-07-2010, 10:15 PM

Anyone got any ideas on how to get this P.O.S. out of my truck, or know anyone who might be willing to either help me or that will do it for a good price. I'd appreciate any feedback.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:00 AM
Seasoned Member

x2. MEET and GREET all TN people at this guys house he's supply beer and food..
Old 12-11-2010, 07:14 PM

**** if I have to throw a kegger to get this taken care of I will. That's how bad it is. Plus, I now need to replace the radiator in my wife's van because that decide to **** the /bed.......again. So I really could use the help to keep the jeep running. Does anyone know if there is a newer model( different master w/booster) that will basically just bolt in without having to replace brake lines? And if so what do I need to get....and from what year and model.

Thanks
Old 12-16-2010, 08:45 PM

Nothing?
Old 12-17-2010, 09:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 L

Sorry man not much help here.I could help ya bleed em and stuff but not sure about that setup or how to change it,maybe try posting up in the tech section maybe some other members can help with some suggestions
Old 12-21-2010, 07:55 AM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.7 stroker

This TSB may be of interest:

NHTSA Campaign ID Number: 96V260000 - Hide Details
Recall Data: 12/27/1996
Components: SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:ANTILOCK
Units Affected: 52000
1991 JEEP CHEROKEE SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:ANTILOCK
Recall Date: 12/27/1996

Summary:
VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH ANTILOCK BRAKE SYSTEM (ABS). THE ANTILOCK BRAKE SYSTEM (ABS) HYDRAULIC CONTROL UNIT CAN EXPERIENCE EXCESSIVE BRAKE ACTUATOR PISTON SEAL WEAR WHICH COULD CAUSE PUMP-MOTOR DETERIORATION.

Consequence:
IF THIS OCCURS, THE ABS FUNCTION WOULD BE LOSE AND REDUCED POWER ASSIST WOULD BE EXPERIENCED DURING VEHICLE BRAKING. THE INSTRUMENT PANEL WARNING LIGHTS WILL SIGNAL SYSTEM IMPAIRMENT AND THE BASE MANUAL BRAKES WILL REMAIN FUNCTIONAL.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL TEST THE VEHICLE'S ABS AND REPAIR AS NECESSARY. THE WARRANTY ON ALL ABS COMPONENTS WILL BE EXTENDED TO 10 YEARS OR 100,000 MILES (EXCEPT FOR THE BRAKE ACTUATOR PISTON ASSEMBLY AND THE PUMP-MOTOR ASSEMBLY WHICH WILL HAVE A LIFETIME COVERAGE). OWNERS WILL BE REIMBURSED FOR PREVIOUS ABS COMPONENT REPAIR COSTS.

Potential Units Affected: 52000

Notes: JEEP CHEROKEE 702

The ABS system is supposed to have a lifetime warranty. May be worth a call to the Jeep Dealer.

Mike