Myriad Minor Fixes Aid in Nashville, TN aka "Need a Jeep Mentor"

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 05:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0
Default Myriad Minor Fixes Aid in Nashville, TN aka "Need a Jeep Mentor"

So, yeah, I need a Jeep mentor. As you all are probably well aware by now, I'm a rookie when it comes to auto repairs. But I want to become self sufficient and get as much life out of my '97 XJ Country as possible.

Over the years I have acquired (like probably all of you) a number of wee and not-so-wee issues with my Jeep and what I'm hoping is that there are some enthusiasts online who may live in Nashville/Franklin/Brentwood who would be up for guiding me through repairs, which include the following:

CIL (coded as P0705, so probably an NSS cleaning or replacing);
Power Windows control switch fix (driver's side controls all windows but individual windows can't be rolled up/down by passengers);
Replace driver side door speaker;
Replace steering wheel;
Replacement LR fender flare;
Steam clean engine;
Sea Foam the thing (never been done, eager to try);
Keyless Entry programming (still have the remote but it won't communicate);
and figuring out whether or not the black mesh filter coming out of my air vents is a problem that needs replacing or just cleaning.

Some I could figure out on my own but experience has taught me not to do this stuff unsupervised since this has been my daily driver for almost 10 years. Of course I'd pay anyone for their time/troubles, but with it being Christmas time and $$$ tight as it is, I could probably save money acquiring the parts and having someone far more knowledgeable offer a helping hand--hopefully someone who enjoys this sort of thing. My family has always taken their cars to shops for repairs/oil/tires/etc. but that's too expensive for me and I don't like not knowing how to fix my own stuff.

Plus, I love my Jeep and want to keep it in top form (working and even cosmetic) so that it'll last (it's at 189,000 miles now, so it's in its prime). I know part of the charm of operating these things is getting their snouts a little muddy and bloody, but my Jeep is the only possession of mine I want to preserve as much as possible. Anyone willing to help me out on that who lives in the Nashville area would have my extreme gratitude and cash. Naturally I don't expect any charities or hand outs, but I figured this might be a good place to look for a Jeep enthusiast who might love to work on them just because and would be willing to educate.

Thanks for taking the time. Reply or message me if you live nearby and are interested in doing some hands on education with a fellow Jeep lover,
J
Old 12-09-2010, 06:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

Moved to the Neighborhood!
Old 12-09-2010, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0

Thank you! Sorry I posted in the wrong section. Still learning my way around these parts.