Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 12:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default McCaslin Mtn Closed for GOOD!

months back there was a huge stir saying that McCaslin Mtn in Wisconsin was going to get shut down for good. It turned out that it was just rumors and that the DNR was just doing some work back in the area. Now as today, supposedly per the WI DNR and one source says that the mountain is closed for good. Not sure if anyone else heard anything and if so please chime in. Once I get more info, I will be sure to add it hear to let everyone know.
:helpme::flamemad:

Jake
Old 04-25-2010, 12:39 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 litre

I heard it was supposed to be a temporary shut down because they wanted to get the wildlife in order then they were opening it back up. How long it will be shut down idk and if they will even open it back up idk but I heard it was only temp
Old 04-25-2010, 10:20 AM
CF Veteran

Shut down for good! Confirmed
Old 04-25-2010, 10:21 AM
CF Veteran

Copied off of another local forum:
"Zebb, for some reason, you come off the wrong way to me. You sound as if you were trying to help get the mountain shut down. If so, why? Anyways, I just called and talked to Edith, and she confirmed what has been said. The DNR was back doing some checking out and has come to the conclusion that they don't want things blocked off, they want them repaired. Which is what we were starting to do on Machette trail.
Too many waterways were damaged and need to be repaired back to their original ways. The Smiths decided to close the mountain down for good as there is just to much damage and to much to repair. If the repairs are done, they don't want to take the chance that people will go and cause damage again, so they closed the mountain. I offered my help along with others to do the repairs needed, and Edith said possibly in the future we might be able to help with repairs but cannot make promises to reopen the mountain.

I just love losing my wheeling lands to some dumb *** wheelers who cannot respect the land and just do what they want with their liquid courage. These people don't care and don't want to understand what it takes to get or keep wheeling land open. They will just find some field or private land to wheel on and destroy as they did here. Yes, I am pissed at this.

The pipeline has improved so much over the past few years. Why cannot this be the same for McCaslin. There just isn't anybody to police their trails as the pipeline has with the forest service. McCaslin will be sadly missed by me and many more. To all those wheelers out there who don't give a **** about the land they wheel on, go screw yourselves!!!! I will find you and turn your *** in!!!! Sorry, rant off.

Kim"
Old 04-25-2010, 11:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

that's too bad.
it's easier to close a trail than to reopen one. suits don't see it like we do.

everyone has to follow the tread lightly rule. pack out what you pack in, and even go as far as stopping along the trails to toss others trail garbage in the back of your jeep.

irresponsible 4x4 drivers really need a lesson in life sometimes.