Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Yet another wheel question, and a flex Q too...

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 11:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Yet another wheel question, and a flex Q too...

When I was lookin at getting my XJ I had all these grand ideas.....

I've had it for a week now and I am absolutely in love with it. I don't think I'm going to do all the suspension mods I thought I was planning. I'd like to put a little lower gears in it and A locker in the rear/limited up front. Mostly I'd just like it to flex a little more. From what I've read disconnects up front and remove the sway in the back, gotcha no problem, but what wheels????

I live in the middle of the mojave so its gotta be a tough tire. I'm not gonna air them down for the trails but I"m also military so If I get a dedicated tire to this enviroment and the next place I go is muddy I'll be pissed. I was lookin at the trxus STX's.

What is the biggest tire and wheel I can put on my XJ without ANY rub when I do a u-turn and it'll still pocket at full flex? What size if I trim it all up?

Whats the best way to get that monster flex? Revolver shackles worth havin??
Old 04-23-2009, 01:27 AM
pwn
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

Dude. Seriously. /facepalm

Starting from scratch. This is all my opinion, so please, anyone, feel free to judge me. I take no offense to cruel criticism. Although I do enjoy reading hate mail.

Congrats on the idea to start with a locker. That is my next purchase which will be within the next few weeks. Check out either Aussie Locker or Lockrite for a good auto locker for the rear, without paying the ARB price.

I may be wrong here, but IMO lower gears would not really be necessary until you run over a 31 inch tire. Just from experience. I am sure it would do good in some situations, but just not necessary until you get up in the 33-35 inch tire range. (look for bigger axles then too)

As far as wheels, alot of people go with fairly cheap steel wheels since they plan on getting them dirty. A good set of Cragar steelies go for around $40 a wheel. Heck, I have seen them on craigslist for $50 a set!

As far as tires go, I have no experience with the STX's. Right now I am running SSR's and have about 20k on them. Get an alignment and rotate them often. I expect another 15k on my tires before I replace them. I will probably look for a good set of MT's then.

Under a stock XJ, I would not go bigger than a 30x9.5 with the correct backspacing and trimmed fenders. Maybe no more than 4 inches backspaced.

My Jeep right now has 3.5 inches of lift and 3.75 inch backspaced Cragars and do not rub since I trimmed the fenders. Proper bumpstops help too.

I never used revolving shackles, but I do agree that longer ones are a great way to get a little extra suspension lift for the rear leaves.

Last edited by pwn; 04-23-2009 at 01:30 AM.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:32 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I-6

Originally Posted by pwn
I may be wrong here, but IMO lower gears would not really be necessary until you run over a 31 inch tire.
But if your like me and going to do projects as you can afford them it makes sense to go axles -> lift -> tires rather than the other way around. At least that's my plan.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Anyone used revolver shackles?????
Old 04-24-2009, 01:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Schmoozer
But if your like me and going to do projects as you can afford them it makes sense to go axles -> lift -> tires rather than the other way around. At least that's my plan.
x2