Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

XJ will not start when cold outside

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989 Laredo
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 ltr
Question XJ will not start when cold outside

Hello all, this is my first post so bare with me.
1989 Cherokee Laredo with 3" Rough Country lift. I bought the XJ off craigslist..stock and we added the lift and some other stuff winch, roof rack...well, finally got it finished and took it out on Sunday 12-5-10 did great, but I sunk it in a mud hole it sat for about 15 minutes nosed down with water up to the front bumper. Got pulled out (realize I need a good rear hitch or bumper). and wheeled it for the rest of the day, did great. Came home muddy, drove to work muddy on Monday did great...Monday at lunch I took it through the car wash...first sprayed it off then ran it through the auto washer...Tuesday morning it was about 17 degrees outside and the Jeep wouldn't start, came home at lunch..about 25 degrees outside and it started. Wednesday morning it did the same thing, then started at lunch again...I took it to the Alternator shop and he tested my alt and my battery, both are good. I did notice that when I turn the heater fan on the volts on the dash gage drop quite a bit but at the Alt. shop he told me that maybe the gage was not working properly because it did not show on the tester that it was dropping...This morning, same thing 17 degrees outside and no start...
When I turn the key, nothing..no click click, just a humming noise. Radio works, heater comes on etc...but no crank or attempt to crank at lunch it starts right up. It seems to be either all or nothing...

any suggestions? And by the way, thanks to ya'll and this forum I was able to build this XJ by myself...and am pretty proud....cuz I'm just a girl!!!

Thanks in advance
Old 12-13-2010, 08:59 AM

NEVER MIND, NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH IS THE PROBLEM...
Old 12-13-2010, 05:24 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

How did you figure this out? I have been having some starting issues and have read about some bad neurtral safety switches. I would like to rule this out first.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 ho

thats kinda weird cuz mine starts better when its cold,it makes no sense but its true
Old 12-14-2010, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by ken72
How did you figure this out? I have been having some starting issues and have read about some bad neurtral safety switches. I would like to rule this out first.

after I had everything tested and ruled out the alt and the batt I was going through the drive through and by force of habit i turned the jeep off (we drive diesels), it wouldn't start back so I slammed it up into park a couple of times and it started. So far every morning it has not wanted to start so I hold the ignition on and hit the gear selector up to park and it will finally crank...this is why I think it's the neutral safety switch...I am going to bypass it until spring and then either clean it or replace it...it's just too cold to be under that thing right now.