Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

XJ stock height...not from axle

Old 12-06-2010, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 6cyl, 4.0L
Default XJ stock height...not from axle

So I'm getting the run around from Insurance company on my lift..long story short, my XJ was vandalized 3 weeks ago, $4,300 in damages so Ins company wrote it off. So claims not the problem, problem for the possible drop is that it's "modified" my agent is fighting the under-writer because it didn't look like a 4.5" lift, which was also confirmed by Jeep dealer that I was shafted by the installer. They estimated it at MAYBE 3"!! Finale kick in the butt.... insurance went up $20/month due to a seat belt fine

So what I need for Insurance company is:

All measurements taken from center of Jeep, not the axle to frame

1. stock height from flat ground to bottom of body...must be full stock with proper tires (225's I believe)

2. agent wants, height of an "actual" 4.5" lift from flat ground to bottom of body with 31" tires and if possible also with 225 stock size tires

I hope I made sense here, I'm just learning lots and getting awfully angry!!

Last edited by Sugar1; 12-06-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0l

Keep in mined the dispute is over 1.5", which isn't much when you consider:

Springs sag over time and from use. I've seen and heard of guys who put on a 6", 4", 3" etc. and they end up losing and inch or two over the years from use, even DD.

The "actual" lift height will depend on how much is in your rig, including on it, like bumpers, winches, and even how much fuel is in the tank. Once you consider all the weight on the stock vehicle, THEN you can consider spring rates. Seems like almost every manufacturer has there own spring rate, some are soft, some are firm, some last longer than others. Heres a link to different spring rates I found:

http://www.utah4x4club.com/index.php?showtopic=7728

With a spring that has a rate of 190lbs., if you put 190lbs on it, it will drop 1". The way I see it, theres too many variables to get any solid number.

What part of the body do you measure to?

What psi should the tires be at?(lol...what atmospheric pressure do they want you to measure at!)

How much is considered for vehicle cargo(spare{don't forget different tires of the same size weight different}, jack, fuel, etc)?

Have they considered aftermarket and add-on accesories(bumpers, winches etc)

How much is considered for driver weight?...Passengers?

Are we talking stock rims?, if not how wide and how tall? What about beadlocks? (the rim can affect height)

Which brand of tires?(Just because they say 31", doesn't mean they really are)

What style of lift?(add-a-leaf, block/pucks, shackle, full pack)

In my experiences, the number that a lift says it will give you is a round number and should be taken with a grain of salt. Maybe have your agent send these questions to the under-writers and see if they drop the issue. All these variables don't affect much, BUT when you add them all up, you might be surprised.

My best defense when corprate/administration types get nit-picky is to shove it up their @ss by making them hold my hand and explain EXACTLY, to the god damn letter, what they want. I end up wasting so much of their time they leave me alone. You could always talk to a lawyer too and see if you have a case, most give free consultations.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:39 PM

Thanks...lol I mention some of those to my agent and was suggested to get a truck load of ppl in it while we measure it. My agent thinks it's ridiculous and a waste of everyone (mine, dealership, theirs...ect) time!!! I absolutely agree and think it's BS!!

I think I'll print out your list and get her to fax it off to under-writer just to be a PITA
Old 12-07-2010, 12:49 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0l

Cut and paste from my post all you want...just givem' hell

Mention too that even %100 stock vehicles lose height over time and for different reasons. Mention that the dealership doesn't recommend a spring change interval to mantain "proper" ride height, so you've done nothing wrong.

If you end up switching insurance, I think AAA has an auto insurance that is friendly to even the most highly modded rigs, just as long as its street legal. I heard that about 5-6 years ago, but things may have changed.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:57 AM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

allstate is "lift friendly" I am now at 6.5" and the insurance adjuster wants to borrow mine.

I am sorry you are being put thru everyones hassle. I agree. Get a load of ppl or lots cinder blocks. Load a stock vehicle down. Then unload yours to where there is nothing in it. Get the most you can from them
Old 12-07-2010, 09:38 AM

Yes it was deemed 100% street legal at dealership. They also stated it was done by the books and properly lifted, they could see nothing wrong.

Isn't Allstate and AAA, American Insurance companies though?