Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

XJ service questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 08:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4L
Thumbs up XJ service questions

Just got an XJ because I needed a new car and I want to learn to be a bit more mechanical and I hear XJ's are pretty cheap/easy to work on. So keep in mind I am not very mechanical. I have mainly done stuff that won't hurt my car if I mess it up.

It is leaking oil from the front of the engine. About 1 quart every 2-3 weeks. I believe it is the front crankshaft seal. I figure I should probably get it fixed. I want to fix it myself to save money, but I am afraid it could cost me more in the long run if I don't do it right and it causes more problems. Here is my basic understanding of how to do it:

1. Pull radiator and/or fans to make room
2. Take off serpentine belt
3. Remove harmonic balancer
4. Either remove seal from front of timing cover, or remove timing cover and remove seal from inside of cover.
5. Do above in reverse to reinstall.

I replaced the radiator on my old Honda, and that is probably the most 'complex' service I have ever performed on a car. I have replaced a belt, I have replaced a harmonic balancer, and I have not replaced a front crank seal. So here are my questions:

1. What is the worst that can happen if I install the serp belt incorrectly?

2. How can I verify that I did install the serp belt correctly?

3. What is the worst that can happen if I install the harmonic balancer incorrectly?

4. How can I verify that I did install the balancer correctly? I have mainly heard you need to make sure it doesn't wobble.

5. What is the worst that can happen if I install the seal? I have heard you can score the crankshaft or where the seal meets the timing cover when removing or installing the seal. How easy is that to do? How bad is it?

6. How can I verify that I install the seal correctly? I know to check for oil leaks, but how quickly would those show up? Would a drive around the block be enough to see if something is wrong?

Sorry for the million questions, but I have no money and this XJ is my pride and joy currently so I don't want to make things worse.

Any suggestions or secret tricks are appreciated.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96
Model: Cherokee

Before you get into all that do this. I know it says for rear mains but it first step taken in resolving all oil leaks.
http://cruiser54.com/?p=96
Old 08-31-2017, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by EZEARL
Before you get into all that do this. I know it says for rear mains but it first step taken in resolving all oil leaks.
http://cruiser54.com/?p=96
The oil is sitting at the front of the engine, that is why I think it is the front seal. Anyway, the link you provided just kind of says to make sure its not the valve cover, filter adapter, etc. but it doesn't really say how to check those parts themselves. I don't see fresh oil coming from any of those places.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0L

Oil collects at the front because gravity put it there. But it is possible/even likely, that the oil came out higher up. The Oil filter adapter has a gasket that is pretty easy to replace, and is often the source of oil leaks. I very much suggest you check that out first.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 334 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Keep in mind that the fan will blow stuff around as well, so its not just gravity you are dealing with. Always start from the top and work your way down when looking for leaks, even if you think you know where its coming from.

Originally Posted by JerpCherooke
The oil is sitting at the front of the engine, that is why I think it is the front seal. Anyway, the link you provided just kind of says to make sure its not the valve cover, filter adapter, etc. but it doesn't really say how to check those parts themselves. I don't see fresh oil coming from any of those places.
Simple. If they are dirty, clean off the crud and keep your eyes open. If/when they do leak, it will be easier to spot. Dyes can help, too.
Old 09-01-2017, 01:43 PM

Hopefully this GIF posts. Again, not too familiar with cars, is this thing that's wiggling the timing cover gasket? I have a feeling it should not be wiggling. Anyone know?

Wiggling

Last edited by JerpCherooke; 09-01-2017 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Engine: 4.0 L6

That is the oil pan gasket, where it seals to the bottom of the timing cover.
Old 09-01-2017, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Tbone289
That is the oil pan gasket, where it seals to the bottom of the timing cover.
Does the gasket look problematic to you?
Old 09-01-2017, 03:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Engine: 4.0 L6

It will be more problematic if you keep yanking on it! just kidding...

It's hard to tell... Mine doesn't look like that, but I don't have the same type of gasket you do. It does look like it might be sticking out a bit farther than it should.
Old 09-01-2017, 03:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

most gaskets are made like that. i changed the front main on my xj about 5 years ago. it's not terribly difficult and you can leave the radiator in. fans, most accessories and a few alt bracket bolts have to come out to remove the timing cover. you won't replace the seal without removing the cover from the engine. it is starting to weep now (90k+ mi later) and i'm giving serious thought to replacing the timing chain, as well. it wasn't great at 130k, i imagine its worse now.