Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

XJ Driver Door Wiring Issues, HELP SOLVE NOW & Forever!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: Two '01 XJs, 4wd Sport Lifted, 2wd Limited Stock
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default XJ Driver Door Wiring Issues, HELP SOLVE NOW & Forever!

So I've posted this a few times and get mixed answers. I'm confused! It seems to be more predominant in '00 and '01 XJs than others. I'm attempting to compile info so I can make a pages and threads dedicated to these wiring issues that plague every XJ/ZJ owner. MAHALOS

#1 Issue> DRIVER Speaker cuts out when door is open some times goes on when closed some times not.
#2 Issue> Especially when it rains but not only, the passenger windows cut out, but driver master control still works. Ive checked and used electrode grease on the connectors and there is no tension from wiring on any of them.

The most common answers are; The wiring harness is to short, "pull it through". That dosent seems to work for any one.

The second answer Ive come across is bad wiring or wiring short. However no one ever explains what "bad wiring means" or where the short is.
What do these things mean and where precisely is the issue in the wiring?

? Is it actually badly constructed wiring, or has the wiring been compromised by damage or wear and where is it most commonly located in the section of the bundle of cables?

? If its a short or bad ground where are the grounds for these particular issues and where is the short in each specific wire.

?? Are these SPEAKER and WINDOW issues related/, i.e. are they caused by the same issue?

? What do you look for/what does this so called bad wiring look like?

? What is the solution/how do you best address these issues?

? What replacement wires do you need if so, i.e. what gage?

Considering all the posts Ive read the issues seem similar but different. The speaker issue happens weather its wet or dry. The passenger window cut out seems to be more prevalent when its been raining, when its dry for a while its not as much of an issue. In this case Id guess that there are damaged wires and water is shorting them, correct.
The speaker seems similar but Im not sure since there isnt one situation or an other that specifically causes it, though it the odds seem to make it happen more when its opened or closed.

LETS PUT THIS PROBLEM TO BED!!! Help me solve this issue and I'll post it in clearly worded form on every Cherokee Forum in a titled manner that will be easily found.

ALSO, I dont have the time to set one up but why dont any forums have search engines that help you find the posts that particularly relate to your issues?

Please give me what info or solutions so I can redraft a PROPER questions, solutions, and answers page and thread.

AlohA and Mahalos
Old 11-11-2011, 05:38 PM

Year: 2000 Limited
Engine: 4.0

#1 Speaker issue:
The wiring in the rubber boot between the door and the Jeep holds all the wires. The speaker wires are in a plastic tube within the rubber boot. This tube gets dry and hard over time, causing it not to flex and thus pinch the speaker wires. The best fix is to replace the wire FROM the speaker, through the rubber boot, to inside the kick panel. It is a pain, but it is what needs to be done.

Go here for wiring diagrams:
http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/...eep%20cherokee

#2 Window switch:
While you have the driver's side kick panel removed, you will see a connector with a yellow, tan, and black wire. If you jump the the yellow and tan wire, you effectively bypass the window lock switch on the driver door. This will solve your window issue.

I have done both to my 2000xj.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 2000

I found in my 98,99 and 00 that the break in the speaker wire on the drivers door is in the Green wire where the clear shrink wrap is around the splice to go to the plug for the Infinity option speakers. the breaks have NOT been at the door rubber boot. At least in my 3 cases.
I've also found in at least the 99 and 00 that the switch to lock out the window controls has been the problem. In fact a google search will show TONS of reports and their fixes. Some even on how to rebuild the switch.
I don't have small children, just annoying adult ones so I have bypassed the switch altogether. If you look at my profile picture gallery you will find how I fixed the problem. I took pictures of it while I was fixing the 00.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:12 AM

Year: 2000 Limited

Originally Posted by Jamie57
I found in my 98,99 and 00 that the break in the speaker wire on the drivers door is in the Green wire where the clear shrink wrap is around the splice to go to the plug for the Infinity option speakers. the breaks have NOT been at the door rubber boot...
Mine was the green wire on drivers side and I think blue on the passanger side that were pinched. Both breaks were inside the rubber boot. My XJ is a 4-door, I wonder if that is why. In any event, I think it better to replace the wire from speaker to kick panel then to try to repair it. I really like this speaker wire from RadioShack. Being balck and red I can easily keep the polarity correct.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062648

Last edited by residentg; 11-12-2011 at 01:15 AM.