Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

XJ Climate control compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5L
Default XJ Climate control compatibility

I've been having intermittent issues with my climate control over the past year or so - it would work fine on Vent and Bi-level mode, but "Heat (floor) or defrost would be intermitent at best. I could get the heat (floor) setting if I put the slider in between Bi-level and "Heat" settings.

About 2 months ago I put in a new blower motor, new blower switch, checked the resistor (OK) as well as fuses (also ok).

My climate control completely stopped working the other day (no blower on any speed or any setting). I tested the blower and it's fine - relay and fuses checked out OK. So I once again suspected the climate control "mode position "slider" - turns out this was the culprit (I could press down on where the mode position wiring harness goes in and at least get some air out of the "vent" setting. So I tore it apart and cleaned the mode lever position contacts the best I could - seemed to be a buildup of some sort of grease in there. After a couple tries, the end result is I have "Bi-level" and "Heat (floor)" position working (although not on the correct mode selections), but still no defrost. It is definitely the temp / climate control console that is at fault here.

I'm looking for a replacement climate / temperature control console, but I'm having a hell of a time finding a console without A/C. I'm considering trying to swap in an OEM console that has A/C - although I noted from the diagrams that the vacuum lines are set up differently no A/C vs. A/C. Further the "order" of mode selection is different between the 2 versions - no A/C: vent, bi-lever, heat, def | A/C: Max, Norm, Bilevel, Vent, Heat, Def.

Does anyone have any more insight if can swap the A/C version in and/or what the "consequences may be of the different vacuum lines?

Old 03-07-2016, 12:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

See my reply in the other forum.

AC panel won't work due to a different vacuum control system.