Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Wouldnt run passed half throttle????

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Wouldnt run passed half throttle????

So I went out wheeling yesterday for about 3 hours mostly 1-2 gear the whole time with a couple of stops for the kids to get out and play, it ran great the entire day. But as soon and I hit pavement it didn't want to run passed half throttle, It acted like it was getting flooded, any time I would put it passed half throttle it would feel like I was choking it out and there was no power then Id back off a little and it would be fine. I let it sit all night and its fine today. What do you think happened.

thanks
Old 01-02-2009, 09:16 AM

It could be ignition component related. Check the crankshaft postion sensor on the drivers side top of the bell housing. Make sure it's bolted up tight, and the pigtail is pluged in securly. Same thing for the pick-up on the distributor, make sure the plug is clean and tight. You could also do a reference test on your throttle postion sensor. I'd have to look at mine, but usually they're three wire: ground, power, and reference. Using an ohm meter, (with the engine off), probe the reference wire, and open the throttle plate; watch for volatge increasement in mv to be for sure your TPS is working correcly.

How was it running when you went past 1/2 throttle? spitting and sputtering/backfiring? How was it running?

You could also find someone with an MT2500 Snap-On scanner, and plug into the data link connector (next to the computer). Go to "data stream" and watch sensor output. If you did that, you wouldn't have to mess with the reference wire to your TPS. This would be the thing to do; to make sure your coolant temp sensor is telling the computer the water temp, etc. Engines can run funny if the sensors don't tell the computer what's going on...regardless of wheather it went into open loop or not.

Last but not least, you might have overheated your fuel pump. If you're turning slow rpm's and you haven't put a fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail lately- you might have a pressure/return problem and overheated your pump. Tap into the shrader valve on the fuel rail with a rented fuel pressure tester next time it does it. Have you replaced your fuel pump before? I've put on new pumps before, only a month later to have them go out. Go to www.fuelpumps.com for a good Walboro pump. Good prices, too.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:45 AM

I been thinking a fuel problem, I just put a new fuel pump in last week but the new one makes noise just like the old one. at idle it seems to be much louder then when you are driving (sounds like a be vibrating noise). I was wondering if I had a regulator problem but then I was thinking that the fuel tank might be rusty too I got lots of rust colored fuel out on the in-side of the inline filter when I changed it (maybe I stired something up in the tank).
Old 01-02-2009, 10:05 AM

...or you could have a return line restriction/kink. Did you change the filter sock on the pump, or reuse the old one? Did you change the filter? Rusty tank in AZ? WTF? Your best friend is the junkyard. If you're close to Gilbert, there's a Pick-n-pull out there; go rob ya a fuel tank.

That pump you bought has a 1 year warranty I bet. Where did you get it from? Is it an Airtex? If so, they're junk. Try to get a Delphi or a Walboro. You get what you pay for sometimes.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:49 PM

new fuel sock
new fuel filter
jeeps from Colorado
and the pumps a Bocsh

Ill check the return line but like I said it runs fine now so would a kink in the liine make it run bad all the time
Old 01-02-2009, 02:15 PM

I guess I was implying that the kink would make the pump strain and run hot after a matter of time.

In all honestness, I doubt you have a kink, unless you somehow damaged the sending unit lines when you swapped the pump. I'm not sure if you have to drop the straps on the passengers side tank or not to swap the pump, but if its not too much work (and you have the receipt) I'd just swap the pump out again.

Rent a pressure tester and let it idle for a while and see what it does, or go wheelin with the tester to see if you can duplicate problems. The line on my pressure tester is so long, that I can leave the hood ajar, and run the gauge inside the cab (with the window rolled down) If I stay on the side streets, I can monitor fuel pressure while going down the road.