Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Would greatly appreciate some advice regarding to vibration

Old 02-23-2014, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Would greatly appreciate some advice regarding to vibration

I'm a deaf guy. So that mean I can't hear the engine or anything but on other hand... I pick up vibrate much easier than others.

Yes I can even tell what noise the vibration come from (fan, engine hopping, pulley, etc...) most of the time

This may sound cool, but actually it can be highly annoying. Since my XJ is 87 it is a older vehicle which mean it vibrate more.
Hell I remember first two months I had it, I'd take it to mechanic friend like every other week because I thought something was wrong until he told me that it is normal for a older car!

So this had me worried sometime. Especially when I feel something differently or didn't feel something I normal do (very frustrating on cold morning!)

I'd really appreciate if anyone can tell me what noise I'd have to worry about or look for? Also is there any way or is it even a good idea to find something that would reduce normal vibrating (for peace of my mind)? Or should I just be glad that it is vibrating as long as it isnt too excessive or weak?
Old 02-23-2014, 12:52 PM

One more thing... I also am kinda tempted to replace all bushing and mounts on the XJ just so I can see how it feel with all new bushing and mounts in the place and compare it with old ones. That way I can be sure that nothing is going bad. Is this a bad idea?
Old 02-23-2014, 01:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

If you have stock control arms don't just do the bushings, it's more cost effective to replace the whole arm. You can upgrade to WJ arms, they are stronger and will bolt in with very little modification. The WJ lower arm has a bushing that offers better vibration dampening when compared to the XJ arms. www. rockauto.com will have the best deals on all of your parts needs.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:11 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Replacing all of your bushings and mounts isn't a bad idea at all, with the age of the vehicle there's bound to be bad bushings that are causing vibrations. DO NOT GET POLY BUSHINGS, they are great for off-roading and providing extra support but they often produce more vibration than bad rubber ones.

However, the best option to reduce vibration is to put sound matting all under the carpet inside the truck. Most of those noises/vibrations you're experiencing are normal and the matting will reduce their effects.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

New bushings would help smooth things out. If the motor mounts are original, replacing them would only help.

Also do the steering system, new tierod ends would also make a difference I think.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:44 PM
CF Veteran

Don't overlook the transmission mount. It could cause the most issues with vibration, but nobody ever thinks about it.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:21 PM

Thanks for all great reply!

I have some questions... I've been meaning to replace front control arms. As some have mentioned here that WJ is much better. I'd like to hear some opinion on those:
http://www.ironman4x4fab.com/Products/LCA-F.html
and
http://www.ironman4x4fab.com/Products/UCA-F.html

Are those worth it or am I better off stick to WJ? Also should I replace both front and rear at same time or can I do them one by one?

As for poly bushing, do that mean just bushing or everything? Should I stick to rubber transmission mount?

I recently replaced power steer pump, steering box, and steering damper so I'm good on that part for now.

I plan on replace the carpet in my jeep so will be sure to get padding
Old 02-23-2014, 02:22 PM

Also I'm looking at Brown Dog motor mount.

Yes I know those are going to be expensive! Lol but I plan on keep my XJ as long as possible and even if it go bad, I'll get another XJ and use those part
Old 02-23-2014, 02:35 PM
CF Veteran

WJ arms are less expensive and have rubber bushings. Those arms in the link you posted have poly bushings and Johnny joints, not good for keeping vibration out of the cabin. Is your XJ lifted?
Old 02-23-2014, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bustedback
WJ arms are less expensive and have rubber bushings. Those arms in the link you posted have poly bushings and Johnny joints, not good for keeping vibration out of the cabin. Is your XJ lifted?
Ah thanks. So one from junkyard will be fine? No my XJ isn't lifted. But have been toying with the idea of trying to lift it 3" sometime in the fall. However my fear is... It seems like most lift kit only give you just what you need to lift it but neglect on many other things such as track bar, pitman, and other things.
Plus I mainly use my XJ for long commuter with some light off roading.
But would love to make it possible to go over speed bump without needing to slow down if possible lol. Especially as I drive over tons of them all of the time!

BTW I live in Chico

Last edited by NorCalCherokee7; 02-23-2014 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:05 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by NorCalCherokee7
Ah thanks. So one from junkyard will be fine? No my XJ isn't lifted. But have been toying with the idea of trying to lift it 3" sometime in the fall. However my fear is... It seems like most lift kit only give you just what you need to lift it but neglect on many other things such as track bar, pitman, and other things. Plus I mainly use my XJ for long commuter with some light off roading. But would love to make it possible to go over speed bump without needing to slow down if possible lol. Especially as I drive over tons of them all of the time! BTW I live in Chico
Damn! You're just up the road from me. If you're going with the WJ arms, I recommend getting new ones from rockauto. The ones you find in the boneyard are usually bent or worn out. I just installed WJ upper arms in my ZJ. I felt a difference in the handling right off the bat. The front end feels more solid, but no more vibration than before.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:06 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

If you're looking for reducing vibrations, stray away from anything poly. It's great for support but it transfer vibes like a used hooker transfers STDs. I whole-heartedly agree on the tranny mount, lots of people miss it, and on the brown dog mounts, great choice. I personally ordered brown dog mounts (which actually just shipped the other day!) and a new tranny mount that I will be doing once I get the mounts!

As far as the junkyard arms, they're definitely an option. However, I would recommend purchasing new ones at an auto store because a) lifetime warranty and b) junkyard arms are used, therefore the bushings are used and very well could go bad quickly or are already bad.

The links provided have a few different options, Poly, Johnny Joints, and rubber. If you were to go the route of new ones, which isn't a bad idea at all, definitely go for the rubber.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:01 PM

So will this one work? http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...parttype,10401

Do year matters? What kind of modify would I need to make? Also should I do all arm controls (both front and rear) at same time?

KingColor, thanks for the input! Will be sure to stay away from poly. Will look into getting stuff from Browndog.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:34 PM
CF Veteran

You can do the uppers or lowers at different times, you don't have to do all at the same time. The mods for the uppers is to clearance the bottom of the frame mounted bracket, just a little trimming with a dremmel. The lower WJ arms have a wider bushing at the axle end of the arm. You just need to trim the bushing sleeve down by 3mm on each side in order for it to fit in the brackets on the axle. I don't know if WJ rear lower arms will work on a ZJ, the upper wishbone certainly won't work.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:15 AM

Awesome! Thanks so much for all help! Really appreciate it! Can't wait to get WJ arm and stop all that vibration It would be so much more relaxing to driving then!