Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Wiring up fog lights...trying not to fry my jeep...

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 06:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L 242ci I6
Default Wiring up fog lights...trying not to fry my jeep...

Right now I have my fogs wired up in a simple circuit, no relay. I'd like to wire in a relay but still be able to control the lights whenever I want (like work lights). I don't want to tap into the headlights or ignition if that's possible. I now we're all supposed to, but my inspection shop never gave me problems for my old lights. I also have a 3 prong switch that supposedly lights up, but I don't know how to get it to do that. I've looked at different wiring diagrams and googled this before, but I never found a real clear explanation for my situation. Can anybody post a diagram or help me out? I have a general knowledge of how the wiring goes, but I'm not a pro by any means. Thanks!
Old 04-01-2013, 07:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

This is a pretty simple wiring diagram with a relay. The switch feed can be from the fuse box or the ignition switch and will give you the indicator light. The switch circuit going to pin 85 and grounds thru pin 86 is the trigger or control circuit. There is a coil between pins 85 to 86. With this coil energized, switch on, the relay is switched to the on position, pins 30 and 87 make contact. Now battery power goes from battery, thru the fuse to pin 30, then to pin 87 to the fog lights. The fog lights turn on.

When you switch to fog lights off. The control coil is de-energized and the contact between pins 30 and 87 is broken so the fog lights turn off.

On your 3 pin switch one pin should be a ground for the light. Connect that pin to a good ground. It should be indicated on the switch somewhere.

Relay Circuit.

Last edited by ET JEEP; 04-01-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

Do a search on here. I know that someone (can't remember who) had a pretty good write up and a drawing of how to do it. It was several month ago when I read it.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:31 PM

Year: 2000

What's wrong with a toggle switch and a fuse?
Old 04-02-2013, 02:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 77olds
What's wrong with a toggle switch and a fuse?
Nothing as long as you use a hefty enough switch and wire.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:30 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Radi

Nothing as long as you use a hefty enough switch and wire.
Or you can do it the right way with a relay. Keep the wiring carrying high current draw safely in your engine bay, not behind your dash.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:29 PM
CF Veteran

I fried my wiring one time because they got hot and melted together on a switch that had the terminals to close to one another, haha. Thanks for the diagram, I'll see what I can do with that. Right now I have 14g wire for 27w lights so I'm safe really. I just want to be a little safer with a relay.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1988

Word to the wise...
The reason my XJ only cost me $500 is because of the ELECTRICAL FIRES that went on behind the dash board before I got it. I've had several vehicles that had pretty poor accessory wiring when I got them. It usually ends in some sort of smoke.

You can use heavy wire but help you if you short to ground behind your dash. You will end up selling it to me so I can drink beer and laugh while I remove charred black wiring and switches.

*Things I've seen

Headlights don't run heater fans very well.
Extension chords into headlights don't run winches very well.
Amps can be a smokebomb if not run correctly.
Speakers are indeed flammable.
Accessory lights run directly from the battery can and will find a way to short to ground, causing many headaches.
Most switches are NOT meant to be in direct line with the battery and will not need a backlight when they catch fire.

Just my opinion though, from a lowly newb
Old 04-02-2013, 06:42 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: l6 HO

Originally Posted by ET JEEP
This is a pretty simple wiring diagram with a relay. The switch feed can be from the fuse box or the ignition switch and will give you the indicator light. The switch circuit going to pin 85 and grounds thru pin 86 is the trigger or control circuit. There is a coil between pins 85 to 86. With this coil energized, switch on, the relay is switched to the on position, pins 30 and 87 make contact. Now battery power goes from battery, thru the fuse to pin 30, then to pin 87 to the fog lights. The fog lights turn on.

When you switch to fog lights off. The control coil is de-energized and the contact between pins 30 and 87 is broken so the fog lights turn off.

On your 3 pin switch one pin should be a ground for the light. Connect that pin to a good ground. It should be indicated on the switch somewhere.

Relay Circuit.
This^^^
Old 04-02-2013, 07:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: ATK 4.0L I6 w/ AEM Brute Force inatke, 748 Injectors

Originally Posted by tonytwotimes
Accessory lights run directly from the battery can and will find a way to short to ground, causing many headaches.
I have my on the battery cuz I'm clueless as to where a good place to splice in would be. Instructions said "12v power supply preferably one that..." Umm I don't remember the terminology exactly but basically something that powers down when ignition is disabled. I had no idea where that might be so I put it on the battery.

Wanna point me to a good wire?
Old 04-02-2013, 07:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1988

Originally Posted by MrAnderson1987
I have my on the battery cuz I'm clueless as to where a good place to splice in would be. Instructions said "12v power supply preferably one that..." Umm I don't remember the terminology exactly but basically something that powers down when ignition is disabled. I had no idea where that might be so I put it on the battery.

Use the above schematic. Fuse and relay are the trick. Not an issue as long as you have something that can blow before it catches fire
Old 04-02-2013, 08:53 PM
CF Veteran

How would I go about connecting it to a fuse in the fusebox? Maybe I'll just hook it into the ignition since I should have the jeep on when I turn the lights on anyway, haha. I like to have it with the ambers and fogs on and just the fogs when I want to light something up at night real quick (helps with bonfires).
Old 04-02-2013, 10:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by MrAnderson1987

The relay control circuit is a very low power circuit. One connect point may be the cigar lighter circuit. It is also ignition controlled.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by XJ.89.Limited
How would I go about connecting it to a fuse in the fusebox? Maybe I'll just hook it into the ignition since I should have the jeep on when I turn the lights on anyway, haha. I like to have it with the ambers and fogs on and just the fogs when I want to light something up at night real quick (helps with bonfires).
There are adapters that allow you to tap into a fuse circuit. Check out this
It shows one type of adapter. As you can see in the video you can choose a fuse that is always powered or one that is ignition controlled. Find one that is not running too many items. Relay control is a low power circuit.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:29 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: l6 HO

Originally Posted by ET JEEP
There are adapters that allow you to tap into a fuse circuit. Check out this video. It shows one type of adapter. As you can see in the video you can choose a fuse that is always powered or one that is ignition controlled. Find one that is not running too many items. Relay control is a low power circuit.
Once again this! Keep getting ninja'd

Quick Reply: Wiring up fog lights...trying not to fry my jeep...