Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

wiring roof lights using fog light switch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default wiring roof lights using fog light switch?

I apologize for beating a dead horse here with the light wiring question, but for an electrical dummy like me it just doesn't work out... I bought a pair of the infamous Baja lights at the local wallyworld and have them installed on my stock luggage rack on the roof. I bought a 30A relay and believe I have all the wiring I need. Instead of running a new switch, I'd like to tie these roof lights into the same switch as the fog lights (93 Cherokee). So far I have both lights grounded and hooked up to 87 on the relay, a fused wire from my battery to 30 on the relay, and a ground wire going to 86. It looks like I will be using 85 on the relay to hook into my existing fog light switch. How should I wire into this switch under the dash? I'd like to be able to hit my fog light button and have both the fog's on the bumper and the roof lights come on together. I've been using this diagram-Just need to know how to do the "85" post on the relay to the fog light switch:
Attached Images  
Old 06-21-2010, 08:35 PM

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

grab a multimetre or test light. and find what has 12v when the switch is on 0v when its off. Splice into that (And dont use those cheep voltage tap connectors, you have problems with corrosion later with them) had connect it to the "85" terminal on your relay. Also, adding a extra fuse on that wire wouldn't hurt either, just in case.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:50 PM

Thanks! How should I splice in if I don't use those rectangular taps?

Also what if I wanted to run two other lights off of the same relay with a separate switch? Can I use the same relay, and how would I hook them up?

(I'm thinking about using two on the light bar for fogs on the oem switch and two for trail riding off a different toggle switch)
Old 06-22-2010, 10:51 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Just a suggestion but to each there own. I would run the switch to the ground side of the relay so your not carrying current to the switch. Less things to go wrong if the wire frays or pulls of the switch.