Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Wiper blade issue

Old 01-03-2017, 06:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default Wiper blade issue

So for the past couple months my wiper blades have been chattering like crazy. Brand new rain x wiper blades and they still do it. I've tried 3 other brands and it still happens. I opened up the cowl and replaced the bushing on the linkage and tightened up the motor mounts as they were loose. Still does it. I bought new replacement arms. Still does it. Cleaned the windshield numerous times. Still does it. I have no idea what to do now but replace everything. Motor and transmission. They chatter worse at low speeds but at high they don't do it as bad. I need some help if anyone has any input for how to make them not chatter
Old 01-03-2017, 06:34 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998
Engine: 4.0

lubed everything you could? take the blades off and tie a rag on to prevent scratches. its blades or something sticking,letting go ?
you might pull the arms off too, see if the posts are sticky,need lube.

Last edited by nujeepguy; 01-03-2017 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:08 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000 sport
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: New 4.0l from s&j engines

Originally Posted by 70hemicuda
So for the past couple months my wiper blades have been chattering like crazy. Brand new rain x wiper blades and they still do it. I've tried 3 other brands and it still happens. I opened up the cowl and replaced the bushing on the linkage and tightened up the motor mounts as they were loose. Still does it. I bought new replacement arms. Still does it. Cleaned the windshield numerous times. Still does it. I have no idea what to do now but replace everything. Motor and transmission. They chatter worse at low speeds but at high they don't do it as bad. I need some help if anyone has any input for how to make them not chatter
make sure the wiper arm is not pressing down to hard.. It should just sweep nice and smooth with as much little pressure as you can get away with. The wiper blade kinda needs to be able to flip for the return stroke..

If it chatters in both directions I bet the arms are pressing to hard against the windshield..

Try too take a little comet cleaner on a wet paper towel and clean the windshield,,, helps with build up,,no it wont scratch the WS Ive been using it for years.. If it looks like it is then stop scrubbing...lol
Ive had nothing but problems with rainx causing my wipers to jump and skip.. thats why I used the comet to take it off.. Never again will I use rainsucks.

Also in this vid the guy kinda talks about the wiper blade needing to flip for return sweeps..Maybe the fix in the vid will help you also...good luck.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dumajones
make sure the wiper arm is not pressing down to hard.. It should just sweep nice and smooth with as much little pressure as you can get away with. The wiper blade kinda needs to be able to flip for the return stroke..

If it chatters in both directions I bet the arms are pressing to hard against the windshield..

Try too take a little comet cleaner on a wet paper towel and clean the windshield,,, helps with build up,,no it wont scratch the WS Ive been using it for years.. If it looks like it is then stop scrubbing...lol
Ive had nothing but problems with rainx causing my wipers to jump and skip.. thats why I used the comet to take it off.. Never again will I use rainsucks.

Also in this vid the guy kinda talks about the wiper blade needing to flip for return sweeps..Maybe the fix in the vid will help you also...good luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHTjwpC44zo
i wax glass with same turtle wax polish in the black bottle. works on metal and glass great,no streaks, rain runs off, no chatter!!
Old 01-05-2017, 08:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: I6

I lubed everything up I could. With the washer fluid it works just fine and dry it works just fine. It's once it gets water on it it grabs like crazy.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:13 PM
Banned

try wax