Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Winter problem

Old 02-03-2017, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Winter problem

My 99 xj 4.0 starts on the 1st turn of the key in warm weather, however...during the winter months it will crank between 5-12 times before starting.....this is Only a cold weather issue....I've had the alternator and battery tested, they're both good...
I have all electrical working, fuel pump engages, neutral starting doesn't change anything....once she Does start she's perfect,
no problems until she cools down about halfway and then I have to go through the same thing.....at my wits end here.
I've read other posts saying it's the AIC? Or that I need to install a throttle body spacer? Personally, I'm a carpenter with basic mechanical skills...now that I'm on Disability I can't afford to take her to a shop so please help!?!?
Old 02-03-2017, 09:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

What's the cold cranking amps on the battery? There's a chance that the battery may be too small.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:04 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992

I vote battery. I had one not even 3 months old, but would hard crank during cold mornings. Got an optima red top, and problem solved
Old 02-03-2017, 10:55 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998

[QUOTEit will crank between 5-12 times b][/QUOTE]

sounds like it cranks ok he didnt say its slow??cant blame batt for everything!

ive had my 98 barely turn over,then fire and run good. i dont let them sit long without running full hot in cold weather.
drive daily when real cold.

Last edited by nujeepguy; 02-03-2017 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Tony Ternak,

We can most likely rule out the throttle body spacer. That isn't the cause of anything, nor would it be the solution.

Can you confirm that the cold cranking is as fast as the warm cranking? Generally speaking, do you feel that the cold cranking is more sluggish or about the same? This matters, because sluggish cranking can very much delay the start. But if you feel that the cranking feels the same, we can probably move on from that. (this goes back to battery, starter, and connection quality between them).

Also, can you confirm what engine oil weight you are using?

As for the AIC, yes this could be implicated. If it is dirty/sticky inside and staying shut after being commanded to open a bit during the startup, if can delay the start or cause a startup failure. Next time you start, try feathering the accelerator pedal just a little bit, if you find that the startup reacts differently it may point to a sticky/malfunctioning AIC.

Another trick with delayed starts is to use a spark tester, particularly one of the types that you can place against a coil or plug wire without having to disconnect anything. Then have someone crank the cold vehicle in the morning, while you watch the spark tester. If you see that the cranking begins, but that the spark is delayed and the engine starts once the spark is present, this usually starts to implicate decisions being made by the computer. Such as not receiving the data it needs during startup fast enough (engine coolant temperature, crankshaft position, cranking rpm, etc.).