Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Winter horror!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Winter horror!!

I have an 88' cherokee pioneer usa olympic edition...it has a 4.0..when winter time comes and it gets cold outside, the fuel rail leaks above the injectors. I have changed the orings twice!!!!...does anybody have an experiences in dealing with this problem....maybe bad/worn fuel rail???..Im a diesel mechanic, and I do not understand this new love of my life (jeep)....thank you, and more questions to come!!!!...
Old 06-10-2009, 09:02 PM
jag

Year: 96
Engine: 6cyl

O-Rings and seals failure can be either internal or external.
Discussion: From time to time, internal seals (under pressure) will fail from heat and movement. This will cause injectors to leak fuel externally. The most common area is to have fuel leak where the metal body meets the plastic connector. Another area is where the discharge tip is fitted into the body. Although not as common, fuel can come through the electrical connector if the internal o-ring deteriorates. External o-ring failure will either cause a vacuum leak at the intake or fuel leak at the rail. Pay close attention to where the fuel is leaking. Many times, what is thought to be an external o-ring leak at the rail is really an internal o-ring allowing fuel to leak at a seam.

From an article I have read.
Might help explain
Old 06-10-2009, 09:29 PM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0
Thumbs up mmmmmmmm..

HMM.... was beginning to wonder if that was a possibility...it is so hard to tell exactly where it is coming from...i have been pulling my hair out hoping winter would not come..guess it is time to save up money and replace.....1 b y 1...yay!!!.....thank you for the help...I could not appreciate it more!!..look forward to talking w you and everyone else more!!......mike
Old 06-10-2009, 09:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

Originally Posted by micorey2
HMM.... was beginning to wonder if that was a possibility...it is so hard to tell exactly where it is coming from...i have been pulling my hair out hoping winter would not come..guess it is time to save up money and replace.....1 b y 1...yay!!!.....thank you for the help...I could not appreciate it more!!..look forward to talking w you and everyone else more!!......mike
Welcome to the forums and your new love, Mike.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:35 PM
jag

Year: 96
Engine: 6cyl

You can find could deal on ebay

Probably could get a set for a good price.