Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Windy noise coming through door jambs

Old 03-19-2016, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Windy noise coming through door jambs

I've had this problem since I got the jeep. Any time over 40mph, you can hear a wind leak coming through the drivers side front door. It isn't deafening loud, but it's annoying enough to **** me off on the highway.

I tried some self-adhesive weather strip in the window frame and door seal. I kid you not, it just made it even louder. I inspected the seals, they all look fine besides a few very minor cracks and nicks, so that's fine. Also tried bending the door in using the 2x4 method. Helped a little, but the noise is still there. Any other suggestions?

Last edited by Tubur; 03-19-2016 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-20-2016, 01:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Because it is easy and cheap I would try this and see what happens:

Old 03-20-2016, 07:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

x2

I went to Home Depot and chose some synthetic looking rope that was luckily thin enough to work perfectly. I think I used somewhere around 10 ft. for each of the front doors, but its cheap enough to just buy extra and cut it to fit. I used some RTV Silicone to keep the ends in place because they kept slipping out - worked pretty well so far.

Total cost was like $6 so it wouldn't hurt to try it, because replacement door seals are fairly expensive in comparison.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 HO

You can try taping off the door seams, or window seams to try and track down the wind noise source.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:07 PM

Just tried it...honestly didn't do much at all :/

This is seriously frustrating me. Did the dollar bill test, it seems tight all the way around the entire frame. It's pretty freaking loud too, seems to be coming from right above my head and a little forward (towards the front of the jeep) too.

But yeah, I used some of the synthetic rope that looked almost exactly what Matt had in the video, did the exact same thing all the way around- little to no results.

Old 03-22-2016, 08:03 PM

Last bump just to see if anyone has any other input on this.

If not, I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy new weather stripping and hinge pins.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:19 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Spray all of your weatherstripping with silicon. It will nourish dry components and allow them to be more pliable. That may help if they are not totally shot. It's good to spray that stuff on your door window seal tracks as well to allow the windows to operate with less resistance. I hit all of mine twice a year. So far, so good.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by Tubur
hinge pins
Are the welds broken or rusted? if there is a huge gap weatherstrip won't fix it. If it's that far gone it's probably not worth fooling with.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Orlo
Spray all of your weatherstripping with silicon. It will nourish dry components and allow them to be more pliable. That may help if they are not totally shot. It's good to spray that stuff on your door window seal tracks as well to allow the windows to operate with less resistance. I hit all of mine twice a year. So far, so good.
Thanks, I'll try this- just wasn't sure if the silicone would deteriorate the rubber, or do the opposite.

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
Are the welds broken or rusted? if there is a huge gap weatherstrip won't fix it. If it's that far gone it's probably not worth fooling with.
Welds are in mint condition for 173k miles. However, I can visibly see play in the pin and bushings on both the top and lower hinges when jiggling it (about 1/8"). I think that deviation could cause some issues.

It's not a huge gap at all. Hell, I cant see any light, it seals water well, and the "dollar bill" test shows that the seal is pretty freaking tight. That's what's confusing me so much- a great seal theoretically, but going down the highway the wind just creeps in there. I think I'll try siliconing the rubber and hope for results. That should indicate whether it needs replaced, or I need to look other places for the issue.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by Tubur
need to look other places for the issue.
Windshield
Old 03-23-2016, 06:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

i would look at the plastic covering the inner fender. If there are any holes in that you would get wind noise coming from the door. I removed my inner fenders and can feel a breeze coming from the door jam area now.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

A old trick i learned,Roll your window down and shut a dollar bill between your door and body.Now try to pull it out or slide it left or right.If the bill moves the gasket is bad in that spot.If the bill won't move the gasket is sealing right.